Sunday, January 25, 2009

Life Perspective

For a number of people winning at life appears to be an ever increasing list of things to have or to be accomplished. They are never satisfied with what they have and therefore are always living in the future. Others seem to live with the chains of the past. Every failure to achieve something adds yet another chain preventing them from taking chances at all and therefore end up doing nothing.
In both cases the present escapes them and they are never happy with any aspect of their life. Why do we make it so hard to just enjoy our lives?
Is there a better perspective?
Instead of making life a perpetual contest we could perhaps change our perspective by asking instead what is the legacy that we will leave behind us when we die. If we have made a positive difference in even just other person then we have won. Our life has meaning. If we were to use the analogy that life is like a poker game then each moment is like having a fresh hand dealt. What has gone on before has no bearing on the current hand dealt other than the experience of getting to know the other players. It is the accumulation of well played hands that produce a winner not dissimilar to life.
The change from winning to legacy and the focus on how we play the current hand dealt by circumstances and our interactions with others could lead us to living a more fulfilling life.
Your thoughts?

14 conversations:

Sandee said...

First of all it's great to see a new post from you. You've been missed. I had to look twice when you popped up in my Google reader.

You are so right about this. I fear that some folks' ego won't let them get past this issue. What a shame too.

Our fast paced world probably doesn't help either. Expectations can be so very high as well.

I live life to the fullest every single day and each day is different.

Have a terrific day Peter. Regards and ear scratches to Cleo. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks sandee from me and Cleo

Anonymous said...

Your right. It's about enjoying life and leaving this world somehow better because we've been here.

By the way, I have listed this blog as a dofollow blog and send a few readers your way. I've linked to the page above.

I'm in the process of updating the rankings and providing a bit of information about each site. Updates should be up by Wednesday. Let me know if you'd like to change yours.

Warmly,

Linda P. Morton

Anonymous said...

interesting post.
it's definitely all about trying to live in the moment. people are indeed so hung up in their accomplishments that they lose sight of what they could be enjoying in the here and now.
of course, for that matter, i think people shouldn't get too hung up in fretting about their "legacy" either. both seem like mind-mistakes to me if you are truly searching for happiness.

Anonymous said...

I have some wonderful wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Need to keep testing my blog. Not working as I want it to yet. Thx for the theme. Maybe this will get mine to look better..

Anonymous said...

Bom Despacho, e este post me ajudou muito no meu trabalho da universidade. Agradecimentos você como suas informações.

Anonymous said...

What i find troublesome is to find a weblog that may capture me for a minute however your weblog is different. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

Really like your websites details! Undoubtedly an exquisite offer of data that is extremely helpful. Carry on to carry publishing and i’m gonna proceed studying by means of! Cheers.

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: Great blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? Id really love to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: Simply wish to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just nice and i could assume youre an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: jumbo tally you take in

Anonymous said...

Ive been meaning to read this and just never got a chance. Its an issue that Im very interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a wonderful blogger, 1 of the most effective that Ive seen. This weblog undoubtedly has some facts on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light.
Acheter vimax en France.2011AVEF

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts youve got produced in writing this article. I am hoping the same finest operate from you inside the potential also. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to start my personal BlogEngine weblog now.
Vimax