Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fantasy or Dream

There is a very subtle trap that we can easily fall into if we are not careful. When asked want we want or dream about we talk about our fantasies or our wish list. How do we know it is our fantasy? There is no specific plan to achieve it. It is like winning the lottery where we wish to win but wait for it to fall into our lap with no effort or sacrifice on our part and therefore little emotional commitment.
A dream is something we want to achieve and we feel intensely about it with a huge emotional commitment. We visit our dream each day and look for all opportunities to move toward our dream.
So if we are not making progress of any type (other than buying a lottery ticket) then we have a fantasy or wish list and recognize that.
Your thoughts?

34 conversations:

Sandee said...

Well, sometimes peoples expectations are set way too high. Unachievable you might say. When this happens you are indeed left with just a fantasy or wish-list. Wants must be attainable with reasonable efforts on ones part. Have a great day Peter. :)

Anonymous said...

I beleive strongly that the more you see your dream, the more it becomes a reality. Keep it close in your mind and keep it close to you at all times.

For instance, at work, put a picture of your dream up on the wall and glance at it when there is nothing else to do. This will boost you back up, proving that you've already started on your way to your dream.

If you haven't yet started on getting your dream, as in making progress towards your dream. Perhaps it's time to switch jobs or do whatever it takes to get you on your way to your dream.

Laura

Peter Haslam said...

Good add sandee purr from cleo :)

Peter Haslam said...

Good points laura thanks :)

Anonymous said...

When you see it as a dream it is a dream, when you see it as a goal for the near future than it is a goal for the near future.
it is what you see it as, perspective of the word dream should be reestablished - my point is... the only way to make those dreams come true is by stop calling them dreams and start acting as if they are real.

Anonymous said...

There is a fine line between dreams and fantasy yes, chasing dreams can also make you loose grip of reality...

Anonymous said...

i guess dream come with what has happen to that people or big hope in that people mind.

thanks,

Anonymous said...

Laura has a good point.
Dream can be your guide on what you will do on an everyday basis.

Anonymous said...

A fantasy will always be something that can never be achieved. A dream, however, will always be possible.

Anonymous said...

Nice look.I like it.Great contents

Cade said...

I definitely feel what you're saying. It's something I've felt strongly for years, maybe most of my life. But I never really knew how to put it into words. Or maybe I could and I was too scared to. It's so much easier to be hold onto feelings. Facts are often so cold.

Anonymous said...

dreaming is necessary in everyday life, even if dreams don't come true... at least in my case :)

Sandee said...

Okay, it's now October and it's been a long time since you have posted anything. I'm hoping and praying that things are well with you. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Big hug. :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting... Have never been taking dream as a goal, although when analyzing it now I see that actually I have always been treating it like something to achieve, something to strive for. I mostly have dreams, not fantasies, I rarely think of something that is not physically reachable, something that is above my abilities... am not a romantic person, yeah?

Sandee said...

Okay, seeing my comment posted makes me feel a bit better. Just a bit. Miss you Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Hi sandee I moved and have limited access to internet trying to get that fixed good to hear from you :)

Anonymous said...

I agree. I would think that dreams would drive you to do something about it, while fantasies are just that. You fantasize about something that is not likely to happen. But with enough gusto that fantasy can become a dream.

Sandee said...

Good to hear from you. Okay on the move. I hope you can get yourself hooked up soon. I miss you and your posts. Hope Cleo is doing well. :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's easier to dream than face reality. Reality requires planning, preparation and discipline to reach our goals.

Sure, you get the benefit of actually achieving them, but sometimes it's nice to just dream...

Anonymous said...

A dream (in my mind anyway) carries more weight than a fantasy. A fantasy is very abstract, and really doesn't do anything except get your emotions all juiced up. But truth be told, whether you call it a dream or a fantasy, nothing will get done if you don't commit to doing the WORK that it takes to make it happen.

Anonymous said...

I am not gonna lie, I live in a fantasy world. Except my fantasy world is real. I am able to do anything I please. It really is awesome. I am kind like Kramer you could say.

Anonymous said...

I like to leave them both separate. It's always better that way. Fantasy vs Dream that is.

Anonymous said...

The line between fantasy or dream is indeed very thin. And it also relative. fantasy for some people can be a dream to other, and vice versa. It's all depend on the effort we brought up to make it come true.

Anonymous said...

hm... i don't necessarily think that the line between them is thin, i think its very clear! you have to be smart, we underestimate what we can do in a year, but overestimate what wecan do in a day!

Sandee said...

Hi Peter:

I just wanted to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I hope all is well in your world. I miss your posts and I miss you.

You and Cleo remain in my thoughts and prayers as always. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks sandee and the same wishes for you and your family. Working on a solution to my posting problems.

Samantha & Mom said...

Peter & Cleo we want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! We hope you get to post soon!
Your FL furiends,
and Chandra

Sandee said...

Happy New Year Peter. I hope all is well. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Samantha and tigger cleo sends her best wishes for the new year

Fulvic Acid said...

According to me,A dream is something you can imagine that you want. A fantasy is something you can imagine, might like to think about it, yet would not want it to happen.

SmartLipo said...

The thing that matters a lot is about how to make it possible into a reality.There are people our there who are able to prove it and they are able to maintain the fantasy or dream of immortality in their unconscious minds.While some doesn't.

life coach training said...

Great differences between the Fantasy and Dream.Well according the Fantasy is to be called when you desire are high that want do it or get it or while on the other dreams is just normal that you forget in one day only.

Kids Furniture said...

sometimes people's expectations are set too high. Unattainable, one might say. When this happens, you really are left with just a fantasy or wish list.

Best Hair Colorists said...

I agree with most points raised in this article. You are very knowledgeable and have written an informative content. I hope to read more content from you.