Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Defining Struggles

We are all familiar with the idea that struggles make us stronger and the more diverse those struggles are the more flexible we can be in managing change. This is the outer struggle that we all have with unforeseen circumstances, misjudgment, lack of proper planning, or caused by others. But I believe that there is an far more important struggle that has a greater responsibility for defining who we are.
I refer here to our inner struggles that no one sees but ourselves.
When someone takes advantage of us do we find some way to retaliate? When someone attacks us personally do we leap into the fight? You get the idea.
We could be very sneaky and find a way for payback that no one but ourselves would know about or we could just let it go knowing that sooner or later that individual we reap the rewards for their actions. We could take the stance that we are not responsible to correct everyone else to our standard of behavior and let it go.
This is the inner struggle and more clearly defines who we are than any external struggle.
Your thoughts?

4 conversations:

Sandee said...

Yep, I've fought with this one many times. I will admit that I've failed sometimes in doing the right thing. I try not of fall into this pit. I will admit that when I don't succumb to the temptation of getting even and misfortune falls in their path that I have enjoyed watching. It's that Karma thing. I wish I was more perfect. Just saying. Have a great evening Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

me too Sandee :)

Anonymous said...

There is a very interesting thing about those inner struggles. The way you think of yourself often defines the way other think of yourself thus defining the way you live... to change your life first you need to change the way you think of yourself - others will follow... it's the most difficult task to accomplish - to start loving yourself, to start thinking as a successful person.

Anonymous said...

your thoughts are deep. Based on your definition and connecting it with my life. I agree that inner struggle are harder to overcome and if your able to fight it and you will become a better and stronger person.