Sunday, March 16, 2008

Response to Anger

I was asked recently if I ever got angry. Of course I get angry, sad, happy, and all of the emotions that come along with daily living. I just don't dwell in negative emotions as long as I used to.

By that I mean if we take anger as an example I find that life gives my ego a gentle bruising from time to time and I get angry for the moment until I quickly remember a phrase.

The phrase is "anger is punishing ourselves for something another or ourselves do to us". It is not personal it is just theirs or our frustration when life doesn't behave the way we want it to.

It puts things into perspective and I have learnt to laugh at myself and my ego and let it go. No need to retaliate or to create a poor me episode. It's just life in action and a natural part of living and I control the only thing I can and that is my response.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: ,

20 conversations:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Great points!..and the thing with anger is, the sooner you let it go, the more positive things become. Its a funny paradox ;-)

Anonymous said...

The ability to laugh at our own foolishness, in a gentle, but not mean-spirited way is one of the most underrated human skills.

Life is full of extraordinary meaning, but if we try to grab onto it with an inflexible stone hand, and stone-serious attitude, it flows away from us, and leaves us behind.

We need to love meaning and see wonder around us, and travel lightly through this life, with plenty of laughter.

Joel

Sandee said...

I'm still working on this one too. I can laugh at myself most of the time, but sometimes I can't. Getting angry isn't productive in any way, shape or form. Very well said Peter. Have a great evening. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you digital camera will take a look

Peter Haslam said...

Very true iconic and only comes from the doing

Peter Haslam said...

great addition to the conversation fearless dreams

Peter Haslam said...

Me too sandee and it only becomes easier with practice :)

Anonymous said...

really helpful points, thanks!

Peter Haslam said...

took me a long time to see and learn those points franca thanks for joining the conversation

Bobby Revell said...

Hi Peter! I was going through blog cat and saw you. I realized how long it had been since I visited you and I'm glad I did.

I have suffered from life long depression and had serious anger issues for years. I have learned to let go of anger. I don't get knots in my stomach over trivial things anymore. I had to learn how to monitor my own thoughts and prevent anger from setting in. It took years to change my seriously internalized habits.

If I'm going to get mad, it really has to be serious; furthermore, I know how to change my own attitude. That is a wonderful thing.

It's nice to see you're still here, writing great articles and helping people. I will return soon:)

Anonymous said...

It is important that we ever feel angry. It would reveals our boundary, makes us realize our values and principle, since anger is usually caused by the violation of them both. By having experienced anger, we would then understand ourselves better and can use that information to be a better man.

Anonymous said...

Remember. "ANGER" is one letter short for "Danger".

Anonymous said...

If you move away from an angry situation for awhile and 'go for a walk' or whatever, that alone can help bring the anger down all by itself.

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea that anger is good - in the sense that it's a way we judge whether something 'wrong' has been done to us. The issue is not in "not feeling anger" but in "not being controlled by anger".

Feel it, admit it, let go of it..... It happens to me a lot when I make a mistake in a presentation :)

S

Anonymous said...

"ANGER"- This five letter word is more danger than "SAD" because sadness will long last within a human body. But anger will have its effect on the third person. So controlling anger favors you to become as a positive person asap...

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting. :D I hope i can adopt it to my self. I'm kinda short tempered person.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the school that says negativity will only bring you down. Always the number 1 rule when it comes to dealing with anything at all in life, think positive and you'll bring positive eventually swing back around your way.

Laura

Organic Fertilizer said...

I am truly appreciate with your experience.. My thought for ANGER is this is only the thing who ruins the life, disturbs the relationship, & much more..

purchase itunes unites states said...

However, regardless of cause or your anger, we must accept responsibility for our response. We are all angry - this is normal, but how we respond to it is in our hands and nobody else.