Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fitting In

We all worry to some degree about fitting in or perhaps we might want to call it being accepted. To some being accepted is everything and to others it calls for rebellion which is just another way of fitting in.

In either case we can worry so much about it that we lose sight of ourselves and our own needs. Fitting in requires a compromise between being ourselves and adapting to the group persona we have chosen to belong to. This dynamic push and pull could hide from ourselves what we feel is important for our own lives as we are so busy meeting the group expectations.

We need to find, accept, and be ourselves, forming a nucleus around which we will attract like minded individuals. We allow people to be themselves and put away the requirement that they conform to our expectations.

Definitely not an easy task but very rewarding in the end to all involved.

Is this possible or is it just idle thinking?

Your thoughts?

6 conversations:

Derrick Kwa said...

Wrote something about this a while ago.

One metaphor/imagery I really like is the idea of a puzzle. Where getting the pieces to fit isn't a matter of adapting the piece, but finding the right place for it.

It doesn't have to be with people who are exactly like you, in my opinion. Could people who complement you, but understand your passions.

My basic point is, yeah, I think it's possible to fit in and still be ourselves. The key to fitting in shouldn't be to change ourselves to fit the group, but to find a right group that fits us. Hope I make sense.

Lynda Lehmann said...

I've just discovered your blog and subscribed! Looks like you have a lot of thought-provoking posts, and I'll be back after holiday week to visit and read some! :)

-Lynda at Peripheral Vision

Peter Haslam said...

Good way look at it derrick

Peter Haslam said...

thank you lynda I look forward to you joining te conversation :)

Anonymous said...

I am what I am and have no intention of changing to fit into a group. I agree with derrick kwa, we don't have to be just alike. Being something I'm not will never happen. What you see is what you get. Have a great day Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

not surprised sandee :)