Friday, October 5, 2007

Risk

It is easy to take risks when there is little a stake. We can remember starting out in our first career move or business venture. The downside of our attempt was really minimal. In most cases we were young and felt we had lots of time should it not work out. We had no kids or marriage to worry about and not a lot of money at risk.

Sometimes we were fortunate and our risks paid off and we embarked on other challenges which were also successful. Others were not successful. In both cases we could end up stopping the taking risks.

What happened?

The more successful we are the greater our potential loss and so we could end up looking for the sure thing. The more failures we had would result in the same dilemma that is looking for the sure thing.

We need to realize that there is no such thing as risk free. It doesn't exist. We need to know what our risk threshold is and accept that. Not everyone is cut out to take high risk and there is nothing wrong with that.

Knowing our risk threshold allows us to make better goals that we will strive for rather than waiting for the perfect score which will never arrive and would guarantee our having an unhappy life.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: ,

8 conversations:

adavait said...

a nice one.it goes to show that everything is in the mind.

Peter Haslam said...

Good observation adavait

Sandee said...

As I got older I feared risk a bit more. With less time came the fear, but never once did it occur to me (when I was young and taking risks) that I may not be alive tomorrow. Very interesting indeed. :)

Peter Haslam said...

I like to think Sandee that as we get older we change what we strive for and it is not always materialistic in nature :)

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

The risk factor!!! Just the subject I've been debating in my own head lately. :D

JJ

Peter Haslam said...

Life is risk at every moment sometimes we can choose more or less

Unknown said...

Made me think about the TV commercial for insurance with the character named "RISK".

James Childrens said...

I think i have a great intuitive side to myself and i have often been very right with my "First Judgment" of some one!
But i have been wrong... I once knew some one that was a bully, nasty and general horrible. I then met some one for the first time who looked just like this bully. Right away i judged him, and i couldn't have been more wrong!
Yet no matter how wrong i was, i do still judge people on looks! I just cant help it...:)