Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Time Travel

If you could go back in time what would you change that would have meaning for you. Would it be an opportunity that you missed or a relationship that you would have pursued. We can imagine a lot of situations that if only we had done something different then our life would be so much better today.

Time travel is a fantasy that a lot of people indulge in from time to time. Interesting but an absolute time waster. When ever we indulge in this fantasy we are living in the past with what if scenarios rather than dealing with what we have right in front of us.

If we are living in the past or future then we miss seeing the opportunities existing right in front of us that we can take action on right now. It is our actions in the present moment that creates our life regardless of circumstances.

Where else can our actions affect our future other than right now.

Your thoughts?

8 conversations:

Sandee said...

I think we all do this to some extent, but you are right it's a waste of time to live in the past or the future. Things are what they are and cannot me changed except for the decisions we make in the present. Excellent post Peter. Have a great evening. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Sandee :)

Derrick Kwa said...

Personally, I try to take action and make decisions based on the idea of "whatever choice I make, make sure it's something I don't regret in future". I fail sometimes, but on the whole I think it's a good way to make decisions.

The thing about living in the future is well, we have to live in the present, while being able to see the future. The opportunities existing now are opportunities for the future. And it's tough to balance that.

Just my thoughts.

Peter Haslam said...

Yes Derrick I am not saying to ignore the future but to just understand the consequences we assume for the future are based on what we believe in the present only. Any action changes that future by changing the present we are in and must also change our predictions accordingly.

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Peter...

Ohhh you are so right! This silliness is a complete waste of time.

I still find myself doing this at times (smile), but I'm right with you and thank you for this very important reminder!

Blessings and joy,

Jen

Peter Haslam said...

I need the reminder to Jennifer :)

Marina Martin said...

I think too many people get far too caught up in regrets. Sometimes, the tiniest things can forever change the course of your life. A bad break-up could lead you to change jobs or locations and ultimately bring you towards greater success, for example.

The entire course of my life was changed once because of a stray Pizza Hut flier. I wouldn't go back and change a thing. (Didn't you see Butterfly Effect? LOL)

Peter Haslam said...

True Marina and as you say you never know