Sunday, August 5, 2007

Speaking to Quickly

We should be silent rather than speaking about other people when we are not certain of our facts. We should not act on flimsy assumptions about why people act the way they do.

When we act without knowledge we often end up regretting our speech or actions when the real facts come to light. The damage to relationships both current and possible has already been done.

There is an old Russian proverb that says this well:

Once a word is out of your mouth you can't swallow it again.

We would cause a lot less stress and problems for ourselves if we showed caution in speaking and acting when we do not have first-hand knowledge and we have not checked our information.

We would not like anyone making inaccurate assumptions about ourselves and we should not do that to others. We can certainly be cautious until we determine for ourselves the validity of the information. Silence can be golden.

Your experiences?

Technorati tags: ,

4 conversations:

Anonymous said...

Wise words indeed. Just last night we had a visit from a friend whose marraige has hit difficulties. It was very tempting to offer prescriptive advice and it was clear that many of those around him had already done that. Our approach? we listened and made just one suggestion, that he might consider approaching community health people and ask their professional advice on the situation. He might do that...

Peter Haslam said...

Good illustration reasonable robinson

Sandee said...

I have been on both sides of the fence here. I have jumped to conclusions that were false and paid the price. This was done in my younger years. I learned to make sure something was true before I jumped on board. Painful when you jump to a wrong conclusion. Then I had to march over and say, "I'M SORRY." Excellent reminder Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

I have been there too often myself Sandee also to my regret