Monday, August 6, 2007

Disappointments

There was a time when we were young that disappointment was but a momentary blip in our enjoyment of the day. If we didn't get what we wanted it rarely lasted long enough to carry till the next day. There was simply too many other things we get on with.

It appears that the older we get the longer disappointment lasts turning into days, weeks, months and in some cases years. Dwelling on our disappointments does not leave us any time for changing them nor time to pursue our next action.

Disappointment will always be there no matter what we do if we consider ourselves infallible in forecasting the future and linger long after it should. Mistakes are to be learned from not enshrined.

As we get older there can be the feeling that we are running out of time and every disappointment gains more importance than it should because of the pressure we put on ourselves. Keeping alive the feeling of disappointment serves no useful purpose.

How do you shake off disappointment and get on with things?

Technorati tags: ,

4 conversations:

Sandee said...

Just keep telling myself that you can't attain, know, react properly all the time. You aren't perfect so relax and quit worrying about that which you cannot change. If you can change something then do so. This one is difficult for me at times too. I just keep talking to myself until I get it. Have a great evening Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Sandee some good advice

Unknown said...

With bigger disappointments, I try to reflect on the good things that came my way that probably wouldn't have if I'd "won the game" or life had gone the way I thought it should. For example, I didn't want to end my 10-year marraige and start over in my 30's, but if it hadn't happened I never would have discovered that I am strong enough to live alone, or been free when a person who was so right for me on so many levels came into my life a year later. For smaller disappointments, like a stalled project at work or not having the finances to do something I want, I try to remind myself that in the grander scheme of things this setback doesn't matter so much, and things could be much worse.

Peter Haslam said...

An interesting approach Pam on handling large disappoinments and keeping on digging for a better perspective