Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Why Are We Here

A question that has existed through the ages. When we look into the question for ourselves we can find many and varied answers. Is it karma, reincarnation, lessons, a fluke of nature, or God in a myriad of forms? There is no definitive answer.

I believe the answer to the why question is whatever we choose for ourselves to believe. End of story. Hold on you say; what if you are wrong. What then? Then I will be wrong and no different to how I have had to live my life. That is, not knowing the future perfectly and living with my mistakes and learning from them.

Someone might say it will be too late to learn after you are dead and we could answer how do you know that. That is what you have chosen to believe. We could choose to believe that death is a door and we will find out for sure when we go through it and no sooner. That is why it is called faith and yes even an atheist has faith.

Instead I think the question we need to be answering is how do we want to live our life. Do we want it full of fear, anger, love, compassion, or living only for ourselves. This is a far more important question as we have control over how we live no matter what our circumstances.

This is our choice. This is right now.

Crazy?

Technorati tags: ,

9 conversations:

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Peter...

I LOVE this post!

Exactly!

I want to have this be on the front page of the NY Times!

Life is what we choose to make of it.

Thanks for this Peter,

Jen

Sandee said...

Not at all. I too believe that this may indeed be the training ground for something else to come after death. Everything is too well laid out to be by chance. It is just too perfect. I too believe that love and compassion is far more rewarding than fear and anger. So, I choose love and compassion. Have a great evening Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Hi Jen and Sandee nice to know that you share my viewpoint and life is indeed what we make it

Carol said...

I don't know Peter..I am here and try to do the best I can with every day that comes. I absolutely believe that death is not the end though.

Anonymous said...

nice post Peter... I agree with you and comedy + that this is the training and/or testing phase for us and we can choose to do our best or fail it miserably, choice is really ours to make! great post as always :) tc and kit

Peter Haslam said...

Carol that is all any of us can do - our best

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks pearl as always good to have you join the conversation

S. Camille said...

Good answer. Why not? I have heard some nice reasons people have come up with... to make the world a better place... to help others... to make a difference in even one person's life.

For me, I still struggle with this thought. I can't come up with anything other than what I choose. It's like the saying "life is what you make of it" and that truly means that it is a gift. Using that gift wisely is what I hope for.

Thanks for this post Peter!

Camille

Peter Haslam said...

Excellent addition Camille and I agree life is a gift not to be wasted