Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Intentions

We have all heard of the line "What are your intentions young man." asked by a forbidding father and laughed. But what are intentions? Someone might say that it is the action we intend to have happen more of a what we want to have happen.

It is one of those words that lack life; for example, we intend to be good or we intend to help. They are pretty vague phrases that have no heart, no passion.

Many self-help authors talk about intentions as being important for us to understand and be clear about but are in turn fail to get their message across clearly.

I would rather use the word wish. Why? Because a wish has passion attached. It can be negative such as we wish they would just drop dead or positive such as we wish them happiness.

So if wishes are intentions in action then we need to be careful of what we wish for. What we wish for if negative can rebound and we can become the recipient. Wishes are the heart and passion of intentions.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: , ,

4 conversations:

Sandee said...

Excellent Peter. One of my favorite sayings is be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Well, often you do. I do like your approach to this. Wishing is much better. I always wish the best of all possible to everyone. Even those that have been mean to me. I wish them the best of everything. I wish you good health and much happiness my friend. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you Sandee for your wishes and I find I can be much clearer when I wish rather than intend also

Carol said...

My mother always told me that "the road to hell was paved with good intentions." Who knows - maybe she was right.

Peter Haslam said...

Good comment Carol. Thank you