Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Antidote to Fear

We have a tendency to tighten up when we uncertain about the results of our actions. Anyone who has suffered stage fright or exam jitters knows this feeling well. It is a legacy from our past when we tightened up in times of danger to make ourselves hard and therefore reduce physical damage.

The trouble is that it can be triggered by both actual danger and if we perceive that there is a danger even if it is not physical in nature. This is why the fear of public speaking is rated higher than the fear of death. The price can be high because we are holding ourselves back from what is possible for ourselves to accomplish.

There is an antidote to our mental fears. It is passion. When we think about the times we have been passionate about something important to us then we will remember how fearless we were. We took actions and engaged people that after the fact we would shake our head and wonder where we got the nerve to do that.

Passion is about letting go of the checks and balances we have put in place to protect our image in the eyes of others. It is about expressing who we are fully without worrying what others think. It is not for the faint-hearted.

Is living a fully passionate life possible?

Technorati tags: , ,

12 conversations:

Unknown said...

Passion, that make sense. I will sit through meeting after meeting but until that one task or ideas triggers my interests I am just an attendee. As soon as something triggers my passion I am now a member of that meeting and I am volutaring for more tasks and looking forward to follow-up meetings and acheiving goals.

Peter Haslam said...

Yes I would agree Debo Hobo that some work situations you need to wait and it can be a long time coming. i now tend to seek out things I can be passionate at and engage myself. Not always successful. Thanks for you addition

The Real Mother Hen said...

what really got my attention is the sentence that public speaking is rated higher than the fear of death... very interesting! Most people aren't passionate over death, yet it's rated so low... can I safely say that for things beyond our control (like the order of nature), we just aren't able to fear, or be passionate about it?

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i think that dims as we age? at least it has with me. passion for life is now replaced with love of life, with occasional passionate moments...

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

I think The Real Mother Hen that speaking about or thinking about death is avoided as much as possible and is in the future not considered possible today. So we worry about other things

Peter Haslam said...

Fair enough Bee but i would challenge you on the basis of your support for the troops and your family. I believe you have selected what is important to you and you are passionate on those

Sandee said...

Agreed, it's not for the faint hearted. Just like old age. Great post Peter.

Peter Haslam said...

Ha Ha I like that Sandee :)

Mimi Lenox said...

I believe it's possible but not easy. Well-worth attempting, however.

Peter Haslam said...

I agree mimi thanks for joining the conversation

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mimi. I know what I am passionate about and I strive to make those passions a bigger part of my life. It isn't the easy road to take, but certainly, the worthwhile one.

Peter Haslam said...

Yes Miki worthwhile and difficult