Sunday, May 13, 2007

For Moms on Mother's Day

They guide us.

And so our mothers and grandmothers have, more often than not anonymously, handed on the creative spark, the seed of the flower they themselves never hoped to see -- or like a sealed letter they could not plainly read. - Alice Walker

Some are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together. - Pearl S. Buck

We are forever children in their eyes; never older than 12.

Whenever I'm with my mother, I feel as though I have to spend the whole time avoiding land mines. - Amy Tan

An ounce of mother is worth a pound of priests. - Spanish Proverb

That's a nice story, but now tell me where you've really been for the past 3 days! - Jonah's Mother

They want the best for us.

I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them. - Phyllis Diller

Mothers all want their sons to grow up to be President, but they don't want them to become politicians in the process. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

They can be a pain.

Few misfortunes can befall a boy which bring worse consequences than to have a really affectionate mother. - William Somerset Maugham

Children aren't happy with nothing to ignore, And that's what parents were created for. - Ogden Nash

They take us places.

A suburban mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car for ever after. - Peter De Vries

They share important things.

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. -Tenneva Jordan

They love us.

Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because they are more certain they are their own. - Aristotle

They get hurt by us

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. -Elizabeth Stone

We aggravate them.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. - Mark Twain

We are a comfort to them.

Children are a great comfort in your old age - and they help you reach it faster, too. - Lionel Kauffman

We are their hope.

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. - John W Whitehead

But without them we would not exist and for that I am forever grateful.

Happy Mother's Day.

Technorati tags: ,

10 conversations:

Sandee said...

Each one is true. What a nice tribute to all mother's. You are indeed a very kind and thoughtful man. Have a wonderful day Peter.

Tawnya Shields said...

A wonderful tribute to Mother's Day. I must admit though I have a fondness for quotes. Very nice blog. :o)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Sandee

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks titania starlight for the compliment

S. Camille said...

Thank you Peter. I had a wonderful Mother's day and to read your post is a nice cap up!

Camille

Peter Haslam said...

You're welcome Camille

Anonymous said...

For those of us who live great distances from our mothers it can be hard to express appreciation at certain times of the year. These quotes are atrue inspiration.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you dumbledore for your comment

Diane Dehler said...

Thanks for this witty and wise, Mother's Day post. What resonates with me is the singular capacity for duality that motherhood requires! Yes, it would seem impossible. Motherhood doesn't require... it demands faith.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you Princess Haiku I enjoy the extra dimension your comments add