Monday, May 14, 2007

Mindsets

A late post today as I had to run out and buy a new router.

Digital Nomads tagged me on a meme What is a Digital Nomad that got me thinking about Mindsets. What is a Mindset? It is a mentality: a habitual or characteristic mental attitude that determines how you will interpret and respond to situations.

So this led me to ask how can you discover what that mindset needs to be. A useful exercise that would apply to any major change such as a career redirection, having children, new goals and the like.

I remembered reading a post by Beth at mylifestartsatfortytwo.com titled What is the Personality of the Company which I thought was a good approach. Here I am using partial quote from the post "I think everyone should think long and hard about what type of environment they are comfortable working in" for this exercise.

So what would be the environment of a Digital Nomad?

  • They would need to be self-sufficient as help is not always down the hall or even on the same continent.
  • Appropriate to today's issue. How do I maintain or replace equipment.
  • What are my minimal equipment requirements.
  • They would need the ability to fit in wherever they were and adjust to local customs when necessary.
  • They would need the ability to meet people easily.
  • They would have to be able to handle sometimes long absences from friends.
  • They would need the ability to communicate well digitally appropriate to needs of their work and personal needs.
  • They would need to be able to handle periods of loneliness or being alone.
  • Attracting a significant other into their life would be difficult.

Doing this exercise allows me to determine whether or not the digital nomad lifestyle is for me or not and steps I can take to test out things in a small way first. For example book a room 200 miles away for a weekend and work from there. If I find it is too frustrating then I will need to rethink my goals.

I will be following the meme with interest to see what other things I need to include in the new environment I would be entering to think about.

6 conversations:

Sandee said...

Well, I don't think I would want to be a digital nomad! Just taking your example...I am out of the game already.

Very interesting post though. Something I hadn't even thought about.

Peter Haslam said...

Just a way of looking at things outside our normal thinking

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

interesting to think about, but not me!

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

You are already an honorary digital nomad Bee. Something to do with cruises :)

Unknown said...

Petros-
We had another response to the nomad meme. Check it out at my blog.

I just ran across it doing searches...kind of crazy that people post but do not bother to let us know.

Glenn Sojourner said...

This is true for people who travel 100% for their business too. I have been a management consultant/road warrior for the past twenty or so years and you are faced with most of the same circumstances you listed.