Wednesday, April 18, 2007

When Not to Use Hypnosis for Goals

Hypnosis just doesn't work if you need convincing.

If you are going to a hypnotist to have them give you an answer; I would tell you that you would have more success doing some searching and reading and picking an answer out of the air.

Hypnosis works when you have a clear goal in mind but are having conflicting emotions about going for it. Working with a hypnotist will bring out the conflicts and provide some help for relieving some of the stress the conflict is causing. A good hypnotist will lead you through a process for reinforcing the positive emotions and diminishing the intensity of negative emotions that will aid you in accomplishing your goal. The key is that you must want  that goal. This is why trying to have someone else convince you will rarely work. Read previous posts on purpose and knowledge

Hypnosis is also very good for creating a set of tools to help you change your focus when dealing with issues of pain or lessening the intensity of emotions when dealing with painful thoughts from past events. Depending on the severity the hypnotist could be part of a medical team working under their guidance.

Hypnosis then is best used as an additional tool for you to use in accomplishing your chosen goals rather than a means to create your goals.

[Disclosure] I am a certified hypnotist through the National Guild of Hypnotists

 

14 conversations:

Sandee said...

Peter - I have been hypnotised once in a training course. It was quite an experience. I held my arm out and was instructed that my arm was a firehose and that I was to keep it pointed at a circle on the blackboard. So I did this while this 170 male instructor hung from my arm. Yes, I was holding his entire body with my arm. I didn't really realize this, but everyone in the class said it was true. I was so focused on the circle on the blackboard...

Long story here, but my point is that I did believe and because of that belief it worked for me. You are correct in your statement that others suggestions are useless. It must be embraced by the person or it will not work.

Thanks for sharing another piece of yourself. Didn't have a clue that you did this :) See you tomorrow.

Peter Haslam said...

Comedy Plus you are absolutely right in the power of your own belief.

Carol said...

I have been unsuccessfully hypnotized twice. Once for smoking and twice for smoking :) I still smoke. I way down inside have no desire to quit and both times I went cause someone else wanted me to go with them. No wonder it didn't work...:p

Peter Haslam said...

Yes Carol it is just a tool that has to be used at the same time.

Gauravonomics said...

Hi,

I have added you to my Technorati Favorites.

Please have a look at my own (very generous) version of the Technorati Favorites Exchange which allows you to be automatically favorited and discovered by hundreds of new blogs across the world.

Also consider adding me to your Technorati Favorites.

- Gaurav

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you for the add

Unknown said...

Peter,
Are there exercises one can do for self hypnosis, or do you have to have a trained facilitator?

Peter Haslam said...

it is called a script in hypnosis and for self hypnosis I usually do it over 3 weeks in 3 stages teaching you how to do it for yourself.

Sandee said...

Tell Cleo that she can laugh at my silliness anytime. See you tomorrow Peter.

Just swung back to see the rest of the conversation on this subject.

Unknown said...

I've favorited you on Technorati. Here's my link:
http://technorati.com/faves?sub=addfavbtn&add=http://angelika1972.blogspot.com

Sandee said...

Hi Peter - Off to the boat for the weekend. Have a yacht club event to attend. Have a great weekend and I'll check back on Sunday afternoon.

Peter Haslam said...

comedy plus I am envious. Have a great time

angelika i returned the favour

Unknown said...

How can I get that 3 week script for self hypnosis?

Thanks

Peter Haslam said...

I will write up and let you know where to download digital nomad