Saturday, April 7, 2007

Happiness as a Purpose

I remember reading Edward De Bono's "The Happiness Purpose" years ago and later on the quote "The purpose of our lives is to be happy" by the Dalai Lama and thinking it can't be that simple and went on my way trying to find my purpose in life. I searched and read and searched again looking into every nook and cranny of my mind. Tried various programs, read the the gurus of finding your purpose, followed every avenue I could find, tried to the lose the selfish I, and finally came full circle back the Dalai Lamas' statement and found that it is true.

Why?

It is both I and we. It is I because the only person on this earth that can define happiness for me; is me. Selfish of me isn't it. Happiness is a feeling I have and I have complete control over it. I choose what I allow to affect it; no one else has that power unless I give it to them. It is we because it is the feelings I get when I am part of some one elses happiness whether as a cause or in the sharing. I have to pay attention and really get to know the other person and it is a natural extension of my happiness to seek ways that will aid in another's happiness. (Always remember that you cannot make someone else happy unless they want to be happy themselves.) It starts with the I and moves to the we and back to the I. A constantly revolving and evolving circle.

If you want to know your purpose in life. Don't look outside for someone else to provide it. You won't find it there. Look at what makes you happy. Are your relationships making you happy? If yes, pursue them, indulge in them. Is your career making you happy. If yes, then pursue and immerse yourself in it. Does working for or with charities make you happy? Then go for it. Is the balance between your activities making you unhappy? Then seek and find a balance that makes you happy. If you don't know what makes you happy then go seek it out.

Before you dismiss it like I did for so many years as being to simplistic and not practical; try it out, play with it, examine it and see if you don't end up treasuring it.

Make happiness your purpose.

Please comment and give your viewpoint.

5 conversations:

Joe said...

You nailed it, Peter. Right on the head. I found out just a few years ago myself that happiness is the purpose and nothing more.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you rt good to hear from you

Anonymous said...

Simplicity is the key isn't it. The whole world is crazily looking outside for an answer, over the top of the next hill, in the next job... you convey the simple solution very clearly.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you Ed. The hardest part was learning just how simple it is. Thank you for your comment

SmartLIpo said...

Thanks Peter...I give it to them. It is we because it is the feelings I get when I am part of some one elses happiness whether as a cause or in the sharing.