Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Power of Belief

One of my biggest hurdles to overcome to making necessary changes in my life was the belief I couldn't do it; that what I was getting in life was what I deserved. I called it fate, paying for past life deeds, lessons I needed to learn, anything that would allow me not to do anything. I put on blinkers so that I wouldn't see opportunities and lived a very gray life. Better stated that I existed rather than lived. I look back today and wonder why I put up with that belief for so many years. But then that is the power of our beliefs and it determines the quality of our lives. 

So what do you so when your life sucks? How do you change your beliefs?

You start by asking questions and writing down the answers. Why do I believe it to be true? What evidence am I using to prove it is true? What do I tell myself or others when opportunities come up? What do I say to myself or others when I read or hear about successful people? How do I feel about rich people? Ask yourself the tough questions.

Your answers will come from your beliefs that you may have learned as a child or through moments of intense emotion such as embarrassment or rejection. Once your unexamined beliefs come out into the open you can then check them over and make a conscious decision to accept them or seek to change them. Oftentimes you will find that all it will take is a realization that they are not true or not working for you and replace them with better beliefs.

Don't wait for a near death experience or some other catastrophe to create the life you deserve. Decide what is important to you and pick carefully what you choose to believe in.

 

Technorati tags: , ,

3 conversations:

Anonymous said...

Inspirational.

I am learning about belief. I am facing a challenge to set up a way to make an income through the sales of my photography. I have doubts... but know if I am to make a real go of it - I must believe in myself. If I don't, how can I expect anyone else to.

Peter Haslam said...

Absolutely jackal it is our true source of power. It will keep us going through adversity and change. Best wishes on your success.

pebble beach homes said...

Most of the time, we tend to see more the difficulties and the potential failure if we strive for success. And in most instances, we back down and back out for the simple reason that we did not have the courage to face them. We need to understand that making mistakes and experiencing failures is an ingredient to success. There's nothing we can do to change that.