Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Method for Creating your Vision

You read articles about how you need to create a vision that resonates with you; but, I often feel that the processes they use are too vague or too complex. I like simplifying things so that I am clear on what result I want. Today I am going to share one of the methods I used to create and then check on my progress towards my vision. I do this once every 3 months.

You need to do this in steps to maximize effectiveness. Use point form, numbered  list or statements. What ever you feel comfortable with.

  1. Write your obituary (A final summation of our lives that, for most of us, occupies about three inches of space in what will shortly become cage liner for your neighbor's parakeet.) as your best friend would write it.
  2. Write your obituary as your significant other (or family member)would write it.
  3. Write your obituary as your worse enemy would write it.
  4. Now write what you want your obituary to say.
  5. Condense step 4 into a statement of your vision.
  6. Check back in 3 months.

It wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell you what I want mine to say.

 

Peter

1947- ____

will be missed

 

Technorati tags: , ,

8 conversations:

Unknown said...

This does make you think. Like your blog and will be back.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you digital nomad. Now I count it a good post.

Sandee said...

Bravo!

S. Camille said...

Hmm.. that's really cool. I'm going to try that.
I need 'vision' making help!
Camille

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks to comedy+ and s. camille. It's a simple but effective tool.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

funny when i first started blogging i got tagged with a funeral meme and didn't want to do it, so i turned it into a memorial service with refreshments and fun. one of my better posts as i recall!

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

empress bee. I can always count on you for a twist of perspective. A pleasure to have comment.

pebble beach homes said...

I was taught a similar thing. I was asked to imagine my funeral and the things that people say during my eulogy. Begin with the end in mind.