Thursday, July 17, 2008

Twisting Reality

We can be very adept at twisting reality without a great deal of purposeful thought. How do we do this? Think back to any occasion when you wanted something so much that it could be called an obsession. It could be an item, a relationship, an event, well you fill in the blank.
What happens is we lose our perspective. Our intense desire makes us look at unfolding reality with rose colored glasses. We ignore anything that would thwart our accomplishing our desire and focus on any detail that would indicate we would achieve it. A very slanted perspective.
We can often come to believe that we have it within our grasp and are shocked when it evaporates before our eyes. It can be very difficult to keep our perspective in the face of great desire when it is also that desire that focuses us and drives us towards our goals.
Again balance is the key and I have to admit that I have fallen into this trap despite my best efforts.
Have you had this happen to you and what do you do to help yourself?
Your thoughts?

2 conversations:

Sandee said...

More than once this has happened to me. Knowing full well that I was heading down the same destructive path, I forged ahead anyway. Yep, this one has bit me more than once.

I've noticed that with age I've not done this so much. I have to remind myself that taking it down the middle of the road is far more productive in achieving something. The letdown is far easier to take as well.

Have a great evening Peter. Big hug to you and ear scritches to the mistress of the house. :)

Peter Haslam said...

I agree Sandee the middle road is often the best way :)