Thursday, July 10, 2008

That is Just Who I Am

Whenever I hear someone using those words I immediately think that either they really don't want to change or are afraid of failing to make the change so preempts that by that statement. Certainly speaking for myself change does contain elements of uncertainty and a fear of not accomplishing the change I want to make. Everyone wants to look good to others.
Who we are is simply what we have or our upbringing have conditioned us to being. It is learned behavior, our choice of emotional labels, and our perceptions. Change therefore really deals with the need to change our conditioning. When we look at change in this light then we can expect that change could be difficult but there is no element of failure just learning how we have applied our conditioning to maintain our perception of who we are.
Each set back is simply bringing back into our current awareness the perceptions that we need to work on or being our choice; accepting. Our life and the quality of life is our choice. In either case we can no longer use the excuse that is just who I am.
Your thoughts?

4 conversations:

Sandee said...

This is the very reason cultures clash so often. That learned behavior. This is a tough one for me Peter. I'm wired a certain way (just like everyone else) and it takes a very long time and lots of hard work (practice) to change something I want/need to change. Another thought provoking post Peter. It's amazing how it can be so difficult to be a well rounded individual.

Did I mention how nice it is to have you back? Well, it is. Have a great evening. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you so much on this -- don't we become stagnant when we make our nature and excuse for the bad choices we make? I respond to that with the Serenity Prayer -- "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Sandee good to be back. this is also tough for me and i have finally learned to laugh at my own conditioning.

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks for the add drug detox program