Sunday, October 28, 2007

Not Really a Philosophy

I was asked what my philosophy on life is because I write so much about different perspectives on issues we all face. I thought about that and determined that I really don't have a philosophy because to me that is a static statement trying to encompass the dynamics of our lives.

I believe that life is constantly changing and for that reason I really can't say I am anything permanent and unchanging. My life seems to go through cycles. Starting with wanting to know what I am and then what am I capable of becoming and then striving to become that.

During this ongoing process of change I reevaluate what I am on a regular basis or after any noticeable change and repeat the cycle. Not really a philosophy at all; more of a recognition that it is almost impossible to state I am something for any longer than the next change that life deals.

I have of course moral and ethical guidelines that limit my choices of action as they should but that is always in light of circumstances and doing the right thing as I determine it to be as I am ultimately the one who owns the consequences.

Your thoughts?

6 conversations:

Sandee said...

I like your approach here. I will have to think about this one as I really don't know how to answer it right now. Very good question for each of us to answer though. Have a great evening Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

I would be interested in your thoughts Sandee :)

Diane Dehler said...

I liked this comment in the film Siddhartha, based on the book by Herman Hesse. "Everything like this river, Govinda... returns."

I think that being able to have a mind open enough and fluid enough to contain the river and it's purity is a worthy goal. I can only aspire to this.

I agree with your open mindedness, Peter, although I do think you are perhaps being a bit elusive also.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter! if you believe that you don't really have a philosophy on life, isn't that a philosophy:) I'm just being a clever dick as I've been recently introduced to the idea of the circularity of epistemology, and thought I'd try and drive it LOL

kind regards
RR UK

Peter Haslam said...

I agree Princess Haiku that I am a little elusive. A point in time is a point in the river as the present is shaped by movement so is my point of awareness and so is never identiclly the same as a previous point or moment.

Peter Haslam said...

I would say Reasonable Robinson that it is my present moment that generates a philosophy for that moment and in the next it can change to meet that moments events. it is not static or unchanging.