Saturday, September 29, 2007

Surrendering to Sadness

If we think about most of the stories people present to us we would notice that there are more sad ones than happy ones by a large margin.

Why is that?

Perhaps it is because sadness is more universal than happiness.  Happiness is often thought to be a momentary spark in our normally unhappy lives and almost a form of gloating when we declare that we are happy. Or perhaps we don't want to jinx ourselves by stating we are happy only to have that reversed almost immediately after our statement.

To take a different perspective perhaps working towards happiness as a constant in our lives takes too much effort to establish the habit where as sadness is a surrender to forces beyond our control which is both more acceptable and easier.

Interesting quandary.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: , ,

9 conversations:

Jennifer said...

Happy is a choose. I chose happy every time.

Anonymous said...

I have always seen my glass half full and I am a happy person most of the time. I have had my ups and downs but it is just as easy too be happy and look on the bright side then always looking for real or imagined problems.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you Jennifer and Dick for your additions to the conversation

Peter Haslam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandee said...

If you focus on those things that are negative then you will probably not be happy. I'm going to GLOAT here. I'm happy! Very, very happy.

Remove those things that make you unhappy. People, tasks, work or whatever it is. Life is too short! Have a great day Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

I can always count on you Sandee to be short and to the point. thanks :)

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Peter...

I have the idea that happiness is indeed our natural state but...

I do think it is quite easy to move away from this state.. and perhaps the peaceful, stillness that is happiness is missed in our business and hecticness?

Hmmm... gotta ponder this a bit!

:-)

Hope your day is a good one Peter!

JJ

Peter Haslam said...

Far too easy as we get distracted by the past and future JJ :)

San Pedro Real Estate said...

I think the way we surrender to happiness depends from person to person because there is an ocean of difference between how a pessimist and an optimist perceives situations. I never saw myself surrendering to sadness, that way by now I'd have given up on life itself. Failures and disappointments is a part of life and we have to learn to compromise with such situations.