Friday, September 28, 2007

Comparisons

I know that I have been guilty and I am pretty certain that most of us have guilty of comparing ourselves with others. When someone does something which others admire we can end up comparing ourselves with them and coming up on the short end of the stick.

Then we can find all kinds of reasons and excuses as why it was not us. Sometimes they are true when they have a particular skill we lack but that often could be overcome if we dedicated our time and effort. Not always if it is a physical skill or conditioning.

But in all cases that comparison is based on accomplishments and recognition and effort. But perhaps there is another basis for comparisons. If we were to base our comparison on our potentiality then we could say that we will never be better than anyone else but also never less than anyone else.

Our potentiality is equal to anyone else and it is our task to find out what that is through knowing ourselves. That exploration leaves no time for useless comparisons.

Your thoughts?

4 conversations:

Sandee said...

Well, I don't like to compare myself to anyone else. I rarely do it anymore either. You are right we will never measure up if we do. I guess with age it just doesn't really matter anymore. What I feel about myself is the most important thing to me. Very thought provoking post Peter. Have a grand weekend my friend. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Yes i come up short when I compare until i get my perspective back :)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

when you do this you are comparing their facade to your reality and you will probably come out on the short end of the stick. even if you are not comparing their facade you are comparing their best to your normal. it will never let you on top. don't do this.....

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

good one Bee thank you :)