Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Right Thing

Some people seem to be looking for an audience to appreciate and applaud them for doing the right thing. They wear their good deeds on their sleeves as a type of badge for all to see and will at any opportunity seek to tell others.

It can be a type of insecurity when we need the approval of others to feel good about ourselves or to elevate ourselves over others. We can also keep a list of good deeds without telling anyone else to remind ourselves how good we are. This is no different than bragging about our deeds.

However the true unsung heroes are just quiet individuals who do the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do and then promptly let it go as not important enough to keep track of it.

When we take our needs out of the equation then doing the right thing is simple and direct.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: ,

6 conversations:

jc said...

I love this post Peter...

It is so very true!

Thanks for this!

Jen

Peter Haslam said...

I am still trapped by this but much less than I used to be Jen

Vinod_Sharma said...

Yes Peter. I recall an Indian proverb which, roughly translated, goes: "Do good, put it in the well" i.e. forget about it.

I would add another small dimension and say: "Do good, be grateful". Grateful that you got an opportunity to do good. And the forget that you did it.

Peter Haslam said...

A good proverb Vinod thanks

Sandee said...

It's a need to be recognized I'm sure. I know when I was working it was inportant to be appreciated. So, I always gave others a pat on the back.

Bragging is quite another thing though and really isn't necessary. Those that brag all the time seem to be compensation for the lack of one thing or another in thier lives.

I still brag now and then, but less and less as I get older. Excellent post Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

A good distinction Sandee :)