Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Gift of Winning

We all like to win at something. We seem to strive throughout our lives to win at things and when we do; doesn't it feel great. It can be a 3-legged race, checkers, water balloon fight or a promotion. When we win we feel good about ourselves and feel that we can accomplish things. It is as if we have been given permission to go on to bigger and better things. We start to dream and live a larger life.

Winning is not only about what we get. It is also something that we can give. We can give the gift of making someone feel like a winner. It can be a loved one, a child, an aging parent, a co-worker or just someone we meet as we go about our lives.

When we give that gift to someone else we can change their life. They no longer have to sit on the sidelines of life with a cup of wishful thinking. They already have the reward. Now they can let go of the striving to win. Now they can live the life of possibility they were born to achieve. Now they have permission to be all that they can be. Now they no longer have to compete for someone else's award. Now they can throw of the fear of failure and the quicksand of self-doubt.

Once we have the feeling of being a winner no one can take that away. It is ours for life. What a great gift to give someone.

I know what that feeling is because the community that I have met around my blog have given me that gift of feeling a winner. I cannot thank you enough.

Is there someone you know that needs your gift?

Technorati tags: , ,

13 conversations:

Sandee said...

It's because you always were a winner Peter. You may not have really known it, but all of us do. You are very special to all of us as well.

While I was working I did very well for a female in the line of work I was in. There just wasn't a whole lot of female lieutenants. Anyway, I was always mentoring the kids. Talking about education and the three most important things to be a winner. Knowledge, skills and experience. I had no secrets and was there to help anyone that helped themselves. Excellent post Peter.

Peter Haslam said...

You're going to make me blush Sandee and thank for your addition and compliment

ExcedenteDeForça said...

So true, I dont feel like winning for a long time, I never though about it but maybe that is something I lost, wich makes me feel like feel with my current life situation, maybe its because I dont really have someone that loves me and makes me feel a winner, but I struggle, and one day I will be a winner on my own, your writing is very inspiring, I really "digg" your blog ! ;)

paisley said...

excellent post... it makes me want to share something with someone... i am not sure who and i am not sure what... but i will be on the lookout for someone that needs something i have,,, something that makes me feel like a winner.....

Anonymous said...

I really like what you wrote in this post, Peter, esp. in regard to the gift part - letting others feel like a winner. And, thank you particular because you do walk the talk!

Unknown said...

Winning does feel so good and that's what I like about our blogging community - we are so unselfish and award each other and make people feel good about themselves.
You know some of the lessons I learn here at blogging, I'm trying to replicate in life with people and it feels good!
Great post as always Peter

Peter Haslam said...

Jmus when you have the power to make someone else a winner then you to are a winner. Life is about relationships Winning is often just about things. You will do just fine. Thank you for your contribution

Peter Haslam said...

Paisley you are already a winner. You have passion and voice that you share. You inspire people and isn't that giving them the gift of winning. I look forward to more of your writing.

Peter Haslam said...

Shine I look forward to watching your walk which you have already shown

Peter Haslam said...

Yes I am with you on that Random Magus and enjoy with you the comments of the readers on your blog. Thanks for adding to the conversation

Jennifer Jones said...

Nice Peter...

Winning is not about beating someone else it is about winning in life... making the most of it, living the best we can, giving what we have to give!

Great thoughts!

JJ

Peter Haslam said...

Good thoughts for us to contemplate Jennifer Thank you

Anonymous said...

nice post to think about it~ winning is good but sometime losing is good too~