Saturday, June 23, 2007

Passion and Control

We want to control things as much as possible so that we can better predict the results of actions. This is a legacy from our childhood where understanding of the relationships between causes and results were necessary for our survival both inside and outside the family.

Once we understood those relationships we would do our best to ensure that we were pressing the right buttons to obtain what we wanted or to avoid what we didn't want. This has evolved for some into the mantra of whomever has control has the power.

If we were to think about someone who is passionate about something; in most cases we will think about someone who wants us to join them in what ever they are passionate about. There is little or no attempt to control they just drag you along.

In looking at control and passion in this light they are really opposites. The more we are controlling people and events the less passion comes through.

If we are looking for more passion in our lives then perhaps we need to let go of controlling and let our passion speak for us instead.

Your thoughts?

10 conversations:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Peter. I think there is much more passion in chaos than in control ;)
Things we're passionate about feel far from control, maybe because we enjoy them more. However, things we don't like or don't know how to handle, we need to control.
W.

Peter Haslam said...

Good point Wonder and perhaps chaos is really the norm

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Agreed Peter and you ought to surround yourself with passionate people.

Unknown said...

I am a control freak... I try very hard not to be... but it's tough. I'm not a controlling person but everything to do with myself and how much I show of myself to others is where the control kicks in.
I wish I could let go and just be... trying these days... let's see if I succeed....

Peter Haslam said...

Agreed on that one Jeremy

Peter Haslam said...

I know it's very hard Random Magus but sometimes even just a little makes a difference. I am sure you will suceed :)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i used to try to control but not so much any more, i finally found it just wasn't worth the bother, i can only control myself, and sometimes not even that...

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

I agree with your comment Bee

Sandee said...

Well, I spent years controlling work related issues. It was required. But there were parts of my work that I was passionate about and those are my most valued and turned out better than anything else I had done. They are what I am remembered for. Just hadn't occurred to me until now.

Peter Haslam said...

Yes sandee we do our best work when we are passionate