Friday, June 8, 2007

Finding Truth

Truth is used as if there is some kind of external dictionary somewhere that if we could find it; then, we would know what is true and we could all have the same path to follow.

The more I read my way around the blogosphere the more I see that some of us struggle with our truths about concepts such as love, identity, needs, wants, happiness, and self. Why do we have this struggle? Why aren't we satisfied with our answers?

There are some who say I know and you are just not listening. They have found an answer; the truth, that satisfies them and have stopped thinking about it. Their minds are closed and they feel that there are two ways of looking at life: their way and the wrong way.

Not everyone is satisfied with some else's answer. We feel that we need to find our own answers and have that feeling of certainty for ourselves and are not content with borrowing.

Maybe the truth is that we will never have that certainty. We each see the world through our glasses of perception and experiences. Our truth is just that; our truth. It will change as we gain new perspectives, new experiences and our truths will not be the same for anyone else.

Can we accept that no one will every see our truth as we see it? Can we accept that other people have their truths which we will never see with the same eyes? Can we accept that is what we have in common with every other person on earth? Can we accept that as a minimum starting point for respecting another's truths? 

Food for thought. 

Technorati tags: , ,

10 conversations:

paisley said...

maybe that is what i am doing... rewriting my truth... sometimes i feel like i have no idea what i am doing... and others i am content not knowing... but either way... my truth remains the same....until it changes without any real effort on my part... in fact i usually don't even figure out that it has changed till i am far from there.....

Peter Haslam said...

Usually that's the way of truth we live and it changes to reflect that and so remains uniquely ours. Excellent additional to the conversation thanks Paisley

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well peter does it really matter as long as we see our own truths? what i mean is i know in my heart my truth, should it matter to me how you perceive it? should i worry about it? should i care? i do, but should i?

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

No Bee just saying agreeing to disagree is just fine

Anonymous said...

Insightful !

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you Jackel

Michele said...

This is indeed a wonderful topic with such diverse meanings. Great write up. Truth to me is an ongoing learning situation that I don't think I will ever figure out. I seem to learn about "truths" through life experiences and trust with human interactions as well gaining knowledge from others. So, I suppose it is an interaction of my own experiences as well as borrowing other opionions.
Some people are pretty stubborn on the word truth and those people that I have talked to believe strictly in one meaning of it and always refer to it as if you accept truth in your heart, you are a "good" person and if you disprove truth then there will be dire consequenses for your actions... sigh... yes Peter, very good topic, it does give you something to think about.

Peter Haslam said...

Great addition to the conversation Michele thank you

Sandee said...

This is very tough to do. We do believe what we believe and we can take a bit of variation, but not if it crosses a major highway. It is why there is so much conflict in the world. Why world peace is wanted my some, but not by others. Their way is the truth and no other way is acceptable.

Yes, this is a tough one, and I have to tell myself all the time that everyone is differnt and do not believe as I do. It's very hard to do too. Excellent food for thought. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Me too Sandee