Friday, June 15, 2007

Building Blocks or Masterpiece


We have a tendency when wanting to make changes to take things apart so that we can focus on key areas for fixing and moving our life in the direction we want to take it for achieving our goals.

We strip our problems or obstacles down to components ready to rebuild them like building blocks; but, in the act of tearing things apart we can lose it's meaning. We can become so focused on the mechanics and the process of building that we never stand back and look at what we are building.

What if we changed our perspective to considering that our life starts as a raw block of stone full of possibility within which is a vital and glowing self. It is waiting for us; the sculptor, to break off the pieces we don't need, to sand, shape, and polish it and bring ourselves fully into the world in all our possibility.

Just consider all that could be created. Just consider how it would change our direction of searching and how we could look at ourselves as a work in progress. A masterpiece in the making that takes our lifetime to create.

Which would you rather do?

11 conversations:

Sandee said...

In the 25 years I worked for the county they taught us to tear down everything and rebuild. It was the cutting edge way to approach problems/issues.

So, they went to the snake oil salesmen for this advice. I watched this over and over and wondered why we had to spend all this money when we had tons of resources (our employees) that know where the problems are. Often they also knew some or all of the solutions.

Yes, I agree with you 100%, as this very idea of tearing down and rebuilding never made sense to me. But I didn't have a choice but to tear down and rebuild. No more my friend. Excellent post Peter. :)

Anonymous said...

Peter - How profound. I think when we decide to make changes, we need a plan/goal/vision of what exactly it is that we wish to accomplish - to remake ourselves into what we know in our hearts we should be, not necessarily into what others want us to become. Shad Helmstetter has written a few books that might help those who wish to change. Check him out, if you care to do so. Until then - "Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, Dance like nobody's watching". Take care.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you Sandee for sharing your experience and to Morganlighter for your addition to the conversation

Anonymous said...

Peter,

I am quite a rock and stone lover. It was nice that you used them in your analogy. Excellent piece.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you theresa111

Unknown said...

... that's what I am trying to do these days... change a little.. piece by piece instead of bringing the entire edifice down. Great post!

Peter Haslam said...

Make it a loving work Random Magus when you stand back to look

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Well said My Friend! Whence the finest arts began merely with a blank sheet became renowned MasterPieces; such as Beethoven, van Gogh, Shakespeare… Architectural buildings, automobiles… are not just; they began on a blank sheet. Be the slate a sheet of paper, a blue print, or simply a stone… the tools to help shape, define, refine… these ‘works in progress’ are endless. And in my opinion - thankfully the greatest invention has always been and will always be, the eraser! For inside all of us is a ‘tour de force’ waiting to be developed and displayed; rather the unveiling be in art, sports… or our individual selves contributing to Society as a whole. (Yes, I used the word ‘be’ a lot, as in “To be or not to be”:). To become the complete person one is capable of becoming – or not. The slate is there, the choice is yours.)

Peter Haslam said...

Excellent addition to the conversation Jeane Michelle thank you

Earlene said...

Every 5 years or so I reinvent myself and my soroundings. I call myself a vagabond. Not a bad thing. I enjoy making a new "nest". I feel as though I am building my character, becoming more understanding of myself and others. Live and Let Live!

Peter Haslam said...

Interesting approach enelrae thaks for joining the conversation