Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Goals and Self-Hypnosis

Several of my readers have expressed an interest in learning more about self-hypnosis. [disclosure I am a certified hypnotist] I will start with a caution. If you have a medical condition that you are seeing a doctor about you should read the following article Scientific American - The Truth and the Hype of Hypnosis and discuss with your doctor.

Lets start with what hypnosis is. All hypnosis is self-hypnosis and I like to use the phrase focused attention. The bottom line is a hypnotist cannot hypnotize anyone. If we could then I would become very rich by choosing 200+ people and sending them out to rob a bank, turn the money over to me and then having them forget about it. Instant Wealth.

A hypnotist is more like a coach who helps a person become hypnotized. The key ingredients are a pleasant voice, the ability to modulate pitch and inflection in their voice, the ability to form a bond of trust and rapport, and a practiced delivery. The rest is up to you. Some of us work better with a coach and others like to take care of it ourselves. That is simply a matter of choice.

Not everyone has the same ability to be hypnotized. Some people find it easy and in fact can enter it on their own easily by listening to music, reading, watching a movie or simply by relaxing while others find it difficult to get into a state of focused attention. It is an inherent ability and rarely changes with practice.

Self-hypnosis can be a great tool for aiding us in accomplishing goals by helping to stop our "yes, but" mind chatter and integrating our emotional and spiritual aspects with mental thinking about our goals. We can feel what it would be like for us as if the goal were already accomplished. That increases the likelihood of it actually happening and strengthening our persistence towards reaching the goal despite set backs.

I have been asked for a script for a self-hypnosis program to teach yourselves that skill. I should have it finished and a file with instructions on how to use it within the next week and I will let you know when I have it done with a link for downloading.

13 conversations:

Sandee said...

This should be interesting to see what others can or perhaps can't do with your forthcoming instructions. Standing by...

Peter Haslam said...

Yes comedy plus it is a personal growth tool. It has fit you to be useful.

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting read. Isn't self-hypnosis another form of meditation? I mean, you are tapping into your subconscious mind right?

Peter Haslam said...

No they different goals tina. Meditation is usually focused on either a seed thought or just watching without involvement. Hypnosis is focused attention on a directed target. Similar in the physical state but different in mental application.
Thank you for your question

S. Camille said...

You're a very interesting man Peter. I wonder what else you have in your bag of tricks? Not to imply your skills are merely 'for show' as the term 'tricks' might imply... it just sounds like you've a great deal of life experience behind you with some interesting things you've practiced too! I for one, am waiting for the extended autobiography of Mr. Peter Haslam and whence he came!
:)
Not trying to pry Peter, just sincerely curious.
Kind regards,
Camille

Peter Haslam said...

Well Camille its coming out in little pieces I don't know about an autobiography. I will think about it. :)

Sandee said...

Hi Peter - I just put up a new post on Anger Management. I thought of you when I did. It's a joke, but an opposite reaction of what you would do. Have a great day.

Peter Haslam said...

Enjoyed it Comedy Plus thanks :)

Diane Dehler said...

Hi Peter,
This is a very interesting discussion and I read the newspaper article that was linked. Hypnosis is a fascinating topic. A few years ago I went to a Cal Performance thing and saw a troupe of Asian drummer, monks. The music put me into a deep state of some sort and I didn't come out of it until the two hour event was over. I couldn't remember any of the performance but felt profoundly, relaxed and alert afterwards. It still annoys me though that I missed the performance. I suppose that was a deep state of meditation.

Peter Haslam said...

On the contrary princess haiku you got the whole point of the performance.

Unknown said...

Cool beans, since I was wondering what happened to this project.

Peter Haslam said...

Stay tuned evan more to come

James Childrens said...

Hi,
I do meditate, and i find that it can really help during stressful times.
It is different to hypnosis i know, but if you know what your doing you may use meditation for similar goals.
This was very interesting!