Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Watch your language

"Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right."  ~Henry Ford

How much attention do you pay to the language you use when you are thinking to yourself? Do you use the word can't and then promptly think of something else? The language we use in our thoughts can create a better life for ourselves or stop us dead in our tracks.

Which is better?

I can't or I don't know how to yet. Can't is final and allows no discussion (powerless) whereas the the second statement says I can do something about it (options).

We can have a job (something I have to do) or we can have a career (we have choices).

You need to be careful of how you represent things to yourself so that you are reminded of your basic right of choice rather than you have little or no say in the matter.

Spend some time thinking about how you talk to yourself and whether that is holding you back from the future you want for yourself.

1 conversations:

pacific grove real estate said...

Those are very strong words from Henry Ford, I've always been carrying that around me ever since I heard it. We have to at least try our best when given the opportunity instead of backing out of every one of them. Failing at something isn't so bad, living with the regret of not knowing what could've been is.