Monday, January 28, 2008

Doing Vs Wishing

We seem to always want more to be able to get out of life what we desire. Some of us want to be smarter, some richer, some want to be more decisive, more forceful, and so on. Almost everyone seems to have a shopping list of necessities before things can happen.

There are some things that we may or cannot ever have. Does that mean that we give up on our dreams as some do or exist in some kind of fairyland tale that we will somehow magically get those attributes we want so much.

No. It means we start from where we are with what we got and instead aim to do the best that we can with what we got. Sure we can and will learn things and gain new skills as long as we are willing to pay the price of time.

If we utilize what we have to the best of our ability we will do better than 95% of the people do in their lifetimes. It is all up to us and how we approach life with what we got.

We can wish or we can do. The choice is ours.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: , ,

3 conversations:

Sandee said...

Well, I know I'm not going to surprise you here, but I was always the doer. Saying no just made me more determined. I still wish for things, but if I want something I figure out if it's something I can in fact get and if it is, then I figure how how to make that happen. You are so right about being realistic. I know I could never sing like Barbra Streisand, so I'm not going to wish for that. Not going to happen.

Have a great evening Peter. You just have no idea how happy I am when I see a new post from you in my Google reader. Big hug and always a scratch for Cleo. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks for your support Sandee is always appreciated. Slowly getting back on track :)

Anonymous said...

I'm at a point in my life where I'm kind of stuck in a rut, thinking of the things I want, but taking minimal action to achieve them. Thanks for this post, as I need to remind myself that ACTION is what gets you places. Best of luck with the doing!