Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Background People

It is amazing when you stop to listen to and watch how some people treat others whom they consider to be background people. You know; the waitress, the cashier at the supermarket, the bus driver, and so on. Some people treat them as if they are subhuman.

Everyone deserves the same respect as we expect for ourselves. They have dreams and in a lot of cases their circumstances simply make it difficult for them to realize those dreams.

When we treat people differently than ourselves and our friends that is discrimination or poor self-esteem. Some might say that is a pretty strong statement and unfair but is it.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: ,

6 conversations:

Sandee said...

Well, I too can't stand these folks. Some don't think much of themselves and others think too much of themselves. We need to base how we treat folks on how they treat us, not what they may do for a living. I know I wasn't treated very well when I was working. Have a great day Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

true sandee :) and I know they appreciate us treating them like we want to be treated

Diane Dehler said...

I think it is very telling how people treat those around them. Hope things are improving for you Peter.

Peter Haslam said...

slowly princess haiku back to work is proving very trying :)thank you for asking

MiMi said...

Peter: It took me a long time to realize that how people treat me says more about them than it does about me -- to learn that it's not personal. I hope mistreated "background people" know this way before I did!

Love your quotation on top of your home page. It's the very same one I used on my January 11 blog post!

Peter Haslam said...

Yes mimi it is hard not to take it personally until we gain the proper perspective :)