Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Curiosity

Their is one trait that is often undervalued. It keeps the mind open to new ways of thinking, new perspectives, exploration of our abilities, and defines our ability to cope with and manage change.

It is curiosity.

When we are curious about anything we seek ways to satisfy it. It is self-motivated and stops only we are satisfied with what we find. It is not tied to practicality and actually may be of no use other than we wanted to know.

Curiosity is the mother of innovation as we place with pieces of the puzzle just to see if we can discover new ways to put it together. Curiosity doesn't require justification for it's use. It is creativity in action in a way that is fun and delights us.

It answers the question of why with one of why not. It can be a poke in the eye of conformity and flies in the face of normalcy. A good place to be sometimes and can be the founding stones of dreams.

An exercise in imagination and thinking outside the box.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: , ,

15 conversations:

Vinod_Sharma said...

Curiosity may have killed the cat but it sure has helped humans to progress and develop. There can be virtually no creativity without curiosity. Of course curiosity of the 'snoop' variety helps add spice to living!

Loz said...

Curiosity must have been one of the things that has driven man's evolution. It brought us down from trees, made us use fire and tools and gaze in wonder at the stars It drove the urge to move from our comfort zone and explore places beyond our horizons.

Sandee said...

Excellent Peter. I concur. Our progress was based on curiosity. Have a great day. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Vinod, loz and Sandee great additions to the conversation thank you

Unknown said...

For me curiosity has always been a two-edged sword and I have a love-hate relationship with it. It defines me yet at times exasperates me

Peter Haslam said...

Curiosity always has unexpected results Random Magus :)

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Peter...

As a child my unrelenting curiosity seemed to always get in the way... I thought it was a defect. Today, I'm thinking it is a rather enjoyable trait!

:-)

JJ

Anonymous said...

After Priscilla Palmer's self development list my friend Jenny and I have decided to try to help build the self development community as well with a little contest. I would like to invite you to find out more details at Win a $25 Gift Certificate.

Peter Haslam said...

yes it is jennifer :)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i have problems with curiosity. you see my mother in law, when she was alive, was the nosiest person on the earth, down to letting herself in when we were not home and going through our things, all the time, if i said anything, she always said she was just curious. i hate that word!!! sorry...

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

Hi Bee. I would perhaps say that it is not curiosity but a need for control covered by a reasonable explanation. Nosiness is not curiosity :)

Mimi Lenox said...

I have been known to think outside the box. Nothing radical. I just live in an imaginary castle and pretend I'm a Queen.

On second thought, I think that's psychosis, not progress.

Peter Haslam said...

Depends on how you treat your subjects Mimi :)

Anonymous said...

Peter,

A word came into my head while I was reading this - Restlessness.

Think any good can come out of being restless?

Just a thought. Perhaps you can consider writing about what you think of 'restlessness' next.

Peter Haslam said...

Cissie interesting thought :)