Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Our Legacy

There are people who their whole life seek to take from others. They cheat, lie and steal their way through life. They are not necessarily criminals blatantly robbing a bank. They could exist in an office, the corner store, a social group we belong to, or in our families.

They all have one thing in common. They believe that the world operates on grabbing scarce resources for themselves in any way that they can whether it is power, money, or resources.

They believe that they only do what everyone else is doing; looking out for number one. Relationships are always to be manipulated and used to benefit themselves. Anyone who doesn't is considered a patsy and fair game. It's a what's in it for me approach to life.

There is some truth that there are scarce resources driven by the ongoing need to accumulate for it's own sake rather than what we actually need. It is spiraling demand that feeds on itself.

They leave no legacy behind them when they leave. They have not created anything of value and so will not be missed. How sad to have lived a life that brought no benefit to anyone but themselves.

 It is when we create something of value to others especially relationships with others that we leave a legacy. A legacy of fond and happy memories in the lives of people we have touched and perhaps changed. That legacy lasts forever as it is passed down through the generations.

Your thoughts?

Technorati tags: ,

11 conversations:

Sandee said...

I agree. We are very comfortable, but worked very hard to be where we are today. These are just things that we have and we cannot take them with us. We too feel that we are most fortunate to have each other, and the many friends we have. I'm not sure I am going in line with your thought here, but relationships are far more important than things.

I just had a run in with a hateful person that was very mean to me. I didn't bite her back, I just removed myself from the area and now avoid her. She is aware I am doing so and is now trying to be nice. I'm not thinking so. Once bit twice shy. Have a great evening Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

You are right on the money Sandee

Digitalnomad said...

I like to think there is no scarcity.

New ideas create new wealth, technology compensates for loss or lack of resources.

Do a search on HHO or Aquygen as an example of this.

Yes, we can burn water, but will government and big biz allow it.

Douglas Eason said...

Hi There

This post made me think about the moral aspect of the situation. These people seem to lack morals. Now the question I ask is if you notice that they're selfishly sucking the life/money/opportunities from you, do you remove yourself from the situation or try to help them to be a person and risk having your life corrupted by them?

Hope You're Having a Great Day

Peter Haslam said...

I agree Michael scarcity is mainly in the mind

Peter Haslam said...

Good question rednose. When you are aware then they can't hook you. People can only change themselves we cannot change them. I would tell them that in my opinion they are being manipulative which I do not want. After that then it would be up to them where they took it.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

so you saw my scissor drawer then? ha ha

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

Yes Bee Daisy sent me a photo

Unknown said...

I agree with Michael. It sounds logical.

Jaya said...

Well, is there such a thing as a 'negative legacy'? Because certainly some people do leave that behind. Especially the extreme examples of the people you speak of, true sociopaths, can leave a legacy of pain behind them.

And while a run in with such a person can result in one feeling victimized, it can ALSO be an opportunity to accept that we create our own realities (my personal belief) and also to expand awareness through learning some of the darker lessons about human nature.

Peter Haslam said...

Yes Jaya you raise an interesting point. People can leave a negative legacy if the person impacted can't let it go. Good addition