Sunday, June 10, 2007

What Color is Your World

Sunglasses perform a useful function in protecting our eyes from harmful rays. A lot of us at one time or another have tried on sunglasses with different color lenses and noticed how everything gets tainted with that color of blue or yellow. Everything appears a little different.

Resistance to dealing with unwanted circumstances does something similar to putting on colored sunglasses. We resist in order to block changes we may have to make in our life or issues that we need to deal with to stay in balance. The resistance only ensures that the issue stays around sometimes for a long time and like sunglasses distorts and colors our view of the world and the people in it.

Sometimes it can distort our view so much that we forget that most things are a shade of gray rather than black and white. We can label ourselves as bad or some other negative trait and then go out and prove it by our actions and justify our view of ourselves.

Unwanted circumstances is just a signal like pain to tell us we need to make adjustments to accomplish want we want in our life. Donning sunglasses just makes that more difficult to do.

What color is your world?

15 conversations:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i guess i will always look through my rose colored glasses. can't help it!

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

great color Bee and it suits you :)

Sandee said...

Well, it depends on how I feel. If I'm up then I wearing the rose colored glasses that Empress Bee wears. But they change with events in life that are sad, tough decisions are another shade, and so on. Sometimes I don't want to wear any color at all. I hope this is making sense. Thought provoking as always my friend. :)

Unknown said...

I like my sunglasses, as in the song..."my future is so bright, I gotta where sunglasses".

In fact, sunglasses have always been sort of a personal trademark for me and a part of my identity.

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Sandee and Digital Nomads for your additions to the conversation

Anonymous said...

I have aways had clear glasses, maybe thats why I am so serious in life.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you for joining the conversation Dick

Jennifer Jones said...

Ahhh resistence! It keeps us from growing but, sometimes, it seems a lot easier than having to deal with real life! ;-)

Sometimes dealing with the issues is like having to walk across hot coals to get to the other side... ya know?

Thanks for this post Peter... another great one~!

Jen

Peter Haslam said...

Like firewalking Jennifer it takes a faith in yourself to start

Anonymous said...

I like the color blue. Not that I feel sad or depressed but I find it soothing, conservative and peaceful. I like green because to mean it means earth, health and prosperity. I like the color orange because it is bright like the sun and sweet like the fruit.
I'm not sure what country flag I just described but I'm sure there is one.

Thanks for the change in my day. I was going to be all black and white (at the computer writing) until I was directed to your blog from a post on BrainBasedBusiness

Peter Haslam said...

I like your description Roger and a creative use of the concept. Good perpective

Diane Dehler said...

My world is magenta.

Peter Haslam said...

A beautiful color Princess Haiku

Earlene said...

My world is every color in the rainbow now that I have made a decision to leave everything behind and follow my daughter and granddaughters to the east coast and begin a new life. Scary and not an easy decision, but now that it has been decided I feel great.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you for your addition Enelrae