Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Perspective on Creativity

There are some that argue that creativity is a gift bestowed on some individuals without rhyme or reason. There are others that argue that there is no such thing as creativity; instead, it is an uncovering of information that has always been there waiting patiently to be discovered.

Self-help programs, guides and literature abounds with how to create more love, create your dreams, create wealth, and so on. There is a $10 billion industry just waiting to help us create whatever we want. I wonder how we got so many geniuses or social scientists to repackage age long secrets able to help us in our hour of need. 

I believe that creativity is a fundamental birth right of being born human. As I have stated in previous posts that no one else has our unique blend of experiences, emotions, health, beliefs, truths, knowledge, thoughts and perspective on life and self.

Everyone on earth can look at the same sunset and what we see and feel will be different as seen through the filter of our experiences and concepts. The way in which we express all aspects of our life is uniquely ours. Some find that expression in the arts, some in the sciences, some in their work, hobby, parenting and so on.

How we express our life is creativity in action; our fundamental birth right.

Your thoughts?

 

If you like my content please consider voting for me at Blogging to Fame Thank you

17 conversations:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

it's like some people like picasso. not me, but some do. still he WAS creative!

i think a see the world in a creative way. i look for things in odd ways. my own way. i like to see the good side when possible. sadly it is not always possible.

smiles, bee

Carol said...

I am a product of every single experience and choice I have ever made. If I am creative at all, it was almost born in self-defence. Another really thought provoking Post!

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Bee and Carol for adding your insight to the conversation

Sandee said...

I agree with you Peter. We can be whatever we want and that is being creative. We may never have our name in lights, but if we feel fullfilled then we have created ourselves in a way that pleases us.

We just need to figure out what we want and then go for it. If it fits you become more creative as you become familiar with whatever it is you want to do.

A snake oil salesman gives a warm and fuzzy until you drive out of the parking lot. I am the master of my ship and I'm very creative in certain areas of my life. Another good brain teaser Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Sandee as always a good add to the conversation

Unknown said...

I think creativity is a a gift more generously bestowed on some as compared to others... I know I have friends whose creativity I marvel at... me I'm not terribly creative.
But you are right our individual experiences lead us to develop our unique stamp of creativity which is born out of every event that shapes our lives and changes us.. teaching us something new

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you for your addition Rndom Magus

S. Camille said...

Creativity is self expression; the way one expresses oneself. It has everything to do with oneself- personal taste, experience, attitude. I too believe we are all born with creative ability. Some choose to use it with more risk-taking than others and with varying results.
I've chosen to use creativity as a problem solving tool, to be resourceful in caring for myself and to lessen the limitation of left brain logic which is the antithesis of creativity. We are all born with left and right brain function, albeit with varying degrees of accessibility due to circumstance, environmental influence and perhaps our 'tendencies' to follow or to lead.
Anyone who feels they are not creative perhaps has a limited idea of what creativity really is.

Diane Dehler said...

I think everyone is born creative and at the same time acknowledge the superior gifts of great artists.

The Real Mother Hen said...

10 billion dollar industry??? Now that got my attention. I can certainly be creative for a pie of $10 billion! :)

Anonymous said...

Peter,
I agree that creativity lies in our expression of our own unique gifts.

One person's expression of her uniqueness may be exceptionally powerful, and enable others to think and feel in new ways. Another person's life and actions may have little power to open me to new ways of thinking and feeling.

We tend to call the first type of person more creative than the second.

But each person has a masterpiece to paint, a song to sing which is his alone. To the extent that each of us works to reveal all that is great in us, and express our uniqueness we are truly creative.

Peter Haslam said...

An interesting point Princess Haiku

Peter Haslam said...

Yes and lots of people have The real Mother Hen

Peter Haslam said...

Very interesting addition Camille Thanks

Peter Haslam said...

Very good way to put it Joel and appreciate the addition to the conversation

Hair Extensions Salons said...

I'm the product of each individual experiences and choices I ever made. If I was creative at all, was almost born in self-defense. Another really thought provoking post!

Kids Furniture said...

I am very happy to read this blog.We just need to understand what we want and then go for it. If you should become more creative as you learn everything you want to do.