Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Blogs and Knowledge Seeking

We often see articles on how much information there is available on the web. I am going to disagree with that statement and say instead that there is a lot of data on the web. Data that stays unknown and of little use to us until we read and translate that into information. If we have no clue what the data means then it stays as data.

We have two ways to obtain information we need for whatever reason either by our direct processing (thinking about) of the data or second hand through someone else's processing. Which is why lists and summaries are so popular. We can get an easy synopsis in just a few minutes.

We seek data when we are looking for a specific answers to our question. Fact finding, definitions, pro or con, and the like. We seek information when we need a focus (viewpoint) to go along with the data to give us a direction or way to think about the information.

This is where I think blogs fit into our search for knowledge. With blogs we get information (data + thought) in a way we are more comfortable with; a conversation. Interactions through comments allows us to extend our conversations and increase our knowledge if only of a different viewpoint.

Do you agree or disagree? Do you use blogs as an information source?

Technorati tags: , ,

19 conversations:

Sandee said...

Well, I'm pretty silly and my blog is just as silly. I do however seek knowledge on any given issue quite often. I am careful where I dig for that knowledge, as many sites are too radical to my views. So, here is a good example. You are a daily visit and you pose situations and then want our input. It does help us learn about ourselves. I know I have learned a lot about myself here.

So, yes it's true. I think there has to be some trust first, but I come here everyday to forget about all the silly and think about things much more deeply. Since I trust you our conversations have much more meaning. I am including all those that visit here too.

Another nice mind teaser. Now I shall go off and think about all the other places I visit. Have a great evening Peter. :)

Peter Haslam said...

I disagree Sandee. I visit your blog everyday for the humor you present that often allows me to lighten up and have a laugh. That is an important contribution as it keeps me in balance. It is the reason I visit Bee, Camille, Jennifere, Princess Haiku and all the others. I get to see life from many different viewpoints and it makes me a better person. But it is also the comments that everyone leaves on my blog that leads me into more interesting conversations.

surjit singh said...

I think you have rightly summed up the purpose of blogging:
...'With blogs we get information (data + thought)....' and.. ...'Interactions through comments..'
A good post.Good luck.

paisley said...

absolutely... the more complex and thought provoking the idea they feed me... the hungrier i am....

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks for your input surjit and paisley I am not surprised by your answer

Anonymous said...

I do believe that what I read on most blogs is true, so when I blog, I write what I believe to be true based on what I read and the data I have in my own head.

I have noticed that my tech blog gets most visitors (outside of the homepage), but he trouble I am finding is that despite the abundance of factual info, I think people tend to focus on the sarcasm and so I am not taken seriously! The only polite way i can think of explaining why I only get a few comments as a rule is that the geeks who don't take themselvs too seriously numbers about about 6! The rest, I assume can only possibly enter into conversations if a post is 100% factual straight laced latest breaking news from the mainstream, hence my success on Digg?

Peter Haslam said...

An interesting observation Ed I hadn't looked at it that way

Anonymous said...

Hey Peter, nice post. I agree: when I look for information on a subject, I look it up in my usual information pages, like web dictionaries or long, researched articles. However, blogs are a good way to find data mixed with the thoughts and ideas of the writer, which may help you expand the information you've got (or make you want look for more). Also, you can agree or disagree with the point of view, or maybe even change your mind about a subject, so it's a good thinking exercise, like all reading :)
W.

Sandee said...

Well Peter, I just didn't look at it that way until I read your response. I got it. I'm a bit slow at times. See how you make us think? :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you wonder for your addition and sandee just my perspective :)

Unknown said...

I think blogs are an amazing vehicle to get information... the data someone has already transformed into information by adding in their insight, perception and point of view.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you for your addition Random Magus

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i do not think i visit blogs for information, at least most of my reads. they are entertainment and now friendships that have developed over the months. why i even have a little cat cult following! ha ha i love the cat blogs. and i still say cleo needs her own blog. she knows other cats have them, she talks to daisy, and she feels sad peter. (smile) she really does!

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

I know Bee she keeps telling me :)

Sandee said...

I'm with Empress Bee..Cleo does need her own blog. You could take lots of pictures of her and we could all adore her more than we do now.

Peter Haslam said...

Cleo, Bee and Sandee I am definitely getting outnumbered here :)

Anonymous said...

I use blogs for information every day. Thanks for the article!

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks for your input steven

Anonymous said...

really?