Thursday, May 31, 2007

What is Happiness

I remember a quiet summer morning on my 650cc Triumph with the sun just starting to peep over the horizon. The wind was rushing through my hair and a grin stretched from ear to ear as I took a long gently rounded curve the world to myself. Time vanished.

I remember a fall morning with the trees a riot of color and the shafts of sunbeams piercing through the leaves. Dancing dust particles twinkled like forest sprites as I danced along .

I remember sitting at a table under an old tree all gnarled and providing a mystical music with the gentle breeze whispering through the leaves.

I used to try and capture those magical moments to preserve them for all time. The moment I tried they vanished before I could take a breath.

Happiness is not found through seeking and capturing it to be bottled for a rainy day. It is more like a sneak thief that arrives without a sound and is suddenly there.

Happiness is being at peace with yourself and totally immersed in the wonder of the universe. It only needs for us to make a place in our hearts to hold it for the moment and then let it go. It is in the unexpected moments accepting all that is that it arises naturally and spontaneously.

All we need is to just make room for it to fill us up.

15 conversations:

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Peter...

Great post!

I remember once catching a shimmering rainbow after a storm. The thought came to me that I thrill at the sight of the rainbow but don't expect it to remain or always be there. I do not weep when it leaves or moan when it doesn't exist.

And I thought about those moments of equisite happiness, and reevaluated my ideas of how and when they "should" be in my life.

:-)

Thanks for this lovely thought!

Jen

Sandee said...

Yes, I have this feeling often. Almost daily. I do think I have this feeling and it is often waning before I realize it was there. Makes me want to do the HAPPY DANCE! Excellent post as usual my friend. :)

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you jennifer and Sandee for sharing your experiences.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

I agree, just enjoy the moment. Not easy when you've got a big mortgage though!

Keep up the good work.

Peter Haslam said...

HaHa good one Jeremy and good luck on the Blogging to fame contest

Anonymous said...

Peter - what a wonderful post - it seems if we could just get out of our own way and enjoy life it would be joyous...

Peter Haslam said...

We often seem to get in our own way as you pointed out beth.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

memories. that's what memories are. and the older you get the more precious they become. you learn to treasure them.

smiles, bee

S. Camille said...

I experienced a moment like this myself, just today, which reminded me what happiness was about. And now your post. Good job.

Camille

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks for sharing Camille and Bee

paisley said...

you make things sound so simple peter... kind of like don miguel's four agreements...

i tend to complicate things to the point of distraction sometimes... and when i come here.. it reminds me to slow down, and look at things in a simpler fashion...

thank you

Anonymous said...

Wonderful insight!

I have to admit, I am happiest, sitting on my patio eating dinner with my husband, family.

Peter Haslam said...

Thank you paisley and lucia for adding to the conversation slowing down and being present are important for our own well-being

SmartLIpo said...

I do not weep when it leaves or moan when it doesn't exist.which reminded me what happiness was about. And now your post. Good job.

lvn jobs in orange county said...

Hi!

Thanks for that important information, it really helpful.
Regards!