Saturday, May 19, 2007

Web of Reality

We can spend our lives spinning the fabric of our world by weaving our opinions, prejudices, beliefs, strategies and emotions into our version of solid reality. But just like a spider web is damaged by wind, rain and other natural events so is our web of reality. The moment it is damaged in some way we often scurry to rebuild it without questioning until it is solid once more and so we endure a constant battle of reconstruction.

What is this need to continually repair our web answering? It is our need for a place of safety amid the chaos and uncertainty of events. This is where beliefs come into play. It is our beliefs of who we are with our understanding of what reality is that formulates our safety zone; our web, our way of dealing with uncertainty. Can we know what happens next in our lives with certainty? Expectations yes; certainty no. This is common to every human being on this earth.

If we acknowledge this truth of uncertainty rather than ignoring it; then, we can be even more appreciative of the only thing that is certain; our present moment and have the ability to review and modify our beliefs accordingly. We can also then appreciate that everyone else also suffers from this same problem of uncertainty and understand their need to find and defend their beliefs.

Life is the friction of illusion meeting reality. It can burn us up or light a fire in us. The choice is ours to make.

Technorati tags: , , ,

6 conversations:

paisley said...

tap...tap...tap...is this thing on???? ah, yes it is... thank you ......

Peter Haslam said...

Thanks Paisley. I appreciate you letting me know it was not on.

Sandee said...

Yep, this sizes it up pretty well. When I was young I was going to live forever. Now that reality as set in I know that every day is a gift to do with what I wish. Yep, I'm with you here.

Peter Haslam said...

Right on Sandee

Sandee said...

Oh goody, at least I got this one. I hate it when I'm really off. It happens often, but I still hate it...

Peter Haslam said...

Sandee there is no such thing as off. I count on my readers to share their viewpoints. Without that it is no longer a conversation but a lecture which benefits neither one of us. :)