Sunday, May 6, 2007

On My Bookshelf

I was recently asked what books I have on my bookshelf. I read at least 2-3 new books a week from the library and occasionally buy books I feel will be worth reading again from time to time. This will be updated from time to time.

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz - based on ancient Toltec wisdom and it provides me with a different perspective on sources of self-limiting beliefs.

Super-Learning 2000 by Sheila Ostrander & Lynn Schroeder - using music for aiding relaxation and superlearning. Also I used the techniques to enhance Hypnosis sessions.

Tai-Chi Chuan by Yearning K. Chen - I have had this book on my shelf for almost 40 years. I used some of the principles when I was teaching Martial Arts and more recently in taking up Tai Chi. It's about balance and attention.

The Tao of Tai-Chi Chuan by Jou, Tsung Hwa - provided an insight into the history and philosophy of Tai Chi and proper breathing called Chi-Kung.

The Art of Living Consciously - My first introduction to the power of awareness as a tool and started me on my adventure of self-discovery.

Kundalini Awakening by John Selby - Deals with the Charka's or energy centers and along with Essential Reiki by Diane Stein I used as a Reiki Master to add to and broaden my presentations to students from my learning material.

Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. - which I have used to enhance my hypnosis sessions for dealing with stress and pain as well as my own illness.

Why People Don't Heal by Caroline Myss, Ph.D - an excellent book on the development of consciousness and spirituality over the ages and self-healing involving the charka's and energy medicine.

14 conversations:

Sandee said...

Haven't read a one of these. I read crime novels...I try to do everything on the light side since I retired. Works for me.

Peter Haslam said...

I have not mentioned my fiction authors because I get them from the library and read too many to buy.
Favorites
Louis L'Amour - western
Andre Norton - science fiction
Robert Ludlum - action
Clive Cussler - action

Pain Relief Packs said...

I love to read. My favorite authors are Clive Cussler, Danielle Steele, Robin Cooke, and many others that I can't seem to remember. Reading is my favorite hobby.

Peter Haslam said...

I like Robin Cooke as well

Sandee said...

Glad to hear you are reading some fiction too. I love to get lost in a book. The smell of a good book. The feel of a good book. I include all my senses when I read. That is the pleasure of reading.

Peter Haslam said...

Amen comedy+

Unknown said...

I feel sad that kids these days don't read.
My heart starts beating loudly and my hands get clammy with excitement at the sight of books. I am not kidding you.
I can spend hours in a bookshop. Its my dream to have a library like the one Rex Harrison has in 'My Fair Lady'.

Peter Haslam said...

I agree random Magus

S. Camille said...

Peter, OH your sordid past! lol, kidding. Tai Chi? Teaching martial arts? Reiki Master? Students? Hypnotist? Chakras, energy, healing? Have I missed anything? And of course, now you can include blogging and writing too!
On My Bookshelf sounds like it really should be a meme! So revealing! Sounds a lot like something I would do, although you are much more mysterious than me ;)
But I have been told that I'm a blithe spirit by some folks in my past... just a little mischief I perceive:)
Thank you Peter for the insight from your bookshelf. Very interesting.
Camille

Peter Haslam said...

Camille I will fill in the blanks when I update my about page.

S. Camille said...

No worries Peter, I'm teasing...
I think it's ok to be anonymous-ish as a blogger. After all, that is part of the medium of the internet. I don't mean to pressure you or cause you to feel pressured. I hope you know it's just a form of flattery to be curious! You are an interesting man.

Peter Haslam said...

I am Camille and thanks for the compliment

Anonymous said...

Thanks Peter - I'm loading up my Amazon wish list as I type :)

Peter Haslam said...

I would be interested in your view of them Mark