Thursday, May 17, 2007

Going Back in Time

The tag from Camille of the NOW blog on going back and talking to your 16 year old self. What conversation would you have?

To set the stage some of the events of 1963

Civil Rights Rev. Martin Luther King and his "I have a dream speech"

USSR and USA set up the hotline link

President Kennedy visits Berlin and his "Ich bien ein Berliner"

Assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas

Dr WHO first episode on TV

A few of the hits of 1963

The Beach Boys - Surfing U.S.A.
Ray Charles - Take These Chains From My Heart
The Crystals - Da Doo Ron Ron
The Drifters - Up On The Roof
The Four Seasons - Walk Like A Man
Jan & Dean - Surf City
The Miracles - You've Really Got A Hold On Me
Paul & Paula - Hey Paula
Peter, Paul & Mary - Blowin' In The Wind
Elvis Presley - (You're The) Devil In Disguise
Bobby Vinton - Blue On Blue - 06-63
LittleStevie Wonder - Fingertips, Part 2 - 07

A59 Hello Peter

A16 Who are you

A59 I am your future self

A16 Man you look old

A59 I came to have a conversation with you

A16 Are you going to tell me what to. If so, get lost. I am finally on my own and no one is going to tell me anything.

A59 I know Peter so I am going to say a few things and then go.

A16 Make it short I got some living to do.

A59 Your focus on me first, trying to control everything so you won't lose it, and trying to live to the fullest will cause a great deal of pain for you and others. I wouldn't want you to change anything because it took all of your experiences to bring about who I am today. If you changed any little bit of it; would that still be true. I don't think so. I like who I am today and every one of the scars I carry remind me of the torturous path I traveled to get here. I promise you Peter that there will come a day when you will face and go through your fears and truly start to live.

In the meantime I will give you a few hints to help you through the years.

Practice your back roll so that you will survive falling off the bridge.

Remember when you crash your motorcycle you don't have to walk to the hospital carrying the front wheel. Just leave it there.

When you are in the delivery room for your daughters birth. Don't hold your breath because you will fall over and go boom.

Put a strap on your camera when you go to the grand Canyon; it won't survive the drop.

See you later Peter.

Technorati tags: , ,

14 conversations:

S. Camille said...

Very interesting advice to yourself! Camille

Peter Haslam said...

Just a glimpse Camille :)

Unknown said...

This is a great meme! I may have to try this one. I love that your current self wouldn't change anything, and I'm glad you survived the fall off the bridge!

Peter Haslam said...

So am I Pam :) Let me know if you decide to do the meme

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

this was great peter! i'd sure have some talking to myself to do! ha ha ha

smiles, bee

Peter Haslam said...

At that age we are not very good at listening Bee :)

Anonymous said...

Man, you must have some scars!

This is an interesting concept for a post and it should give you loads of material for future posts on split personalities and how to cope with the voices in one's head

Peter Haslam said...

HaHa which voice should I use to answer ED :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some details of your (wild) youth!

What kind of bike did you have? I picture you bleeding, limping and lugging a heavy wheel down the road... funny only because as I write this I'm looking at a picture of your smiling face.

Glad you made it here/now safely :)

Peter Haslam said...

Maile it was a 150cc Honda went around a corner and there was a huge pothole not marked and front wheel broke at the bolts. The rest is as you pictured and I look back and laugh at it and wish I had a picture.

Unknown said...

This was fun. I especially loved the end pointers to your younger self.
Love the way you accept that the future can't be the way it is now if we change the past. Some experiences we go through in life are what makes us the people we are today, just like you told the younger Peter in the post!

Peter Haslam said...

Yes Random Magus a lot of people want to change their past and do a better job. The problem is we will just make new mistakes and have a different ending. Maybe an even worse one than we think we have now. Thanks for your comment.

Sandee said...

Great job Peter. I would change a few things in my past if I could... Very entertaining meme.

Peter Haslam said...

Then you would not be who you are today. I would miss you :)