Monday, March 26, 2007

Cyber Stalkers

This is an unusual topic for this blog but ever since I read the post on Creating Passionate Users blog written by Kathy Sierra today; it has disturbed, upset, bothered me and made me angry. It is a post about death threats, sexual references, and uncovers some very sick minds. Kathy's posts have always communicated a passionate belief in making a difference. One of my favorites is You can out-spend or out-teach which certainly made me think.

The saddest part about this episode that it may result in never hearing from Kathy again. What a loss that would be for the huge community of self-motivated learners that look for and enjoy someone who makes them think a little more deeply than we usually do about a topic.

Out of the millions of users on the net it takes only a tiny handful of bullies to destroy a person's feeling of safety. I wish I had the skills to help track them down. But I don't. All I can do is show my support for Kathy and spread the news in the hope that that someone somewhere knows some information about this and will come forward even anonymously and help put an end to this tragic episode.

Kathy, I wish I could do more. My thoughts are with you.

5 conversations:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I wish I could do something! I just hope that somebody will be able to stop this.

Sandee said...

Wow Peter, I went to her site and took a look. She is clearly terrified and that isn't acceptable. What could have she done to provoke such rage? Nothing I expect. Perhaps her intellect, beauty, or??? It's a shame and I hope they find this creep!

Peter Haslam said...

Its sad that someone feels so bad about themselves they can only bully someone else too feel good.

S. Camille said...

Oh my GOD...

That is truly unbelievable and frightening. I was think to myself as I read the post, Oh my God, what if someone like that found my site...

Not good... and so sad for Kathy.

Thanks for posting about it Peter.

monterey real estate said...

Gosh some people can be so mean at times. This should definitely stop. I hope whoever did that is found.