Thursday, November 26, 2009

Traps

Our habits of thinking can easily lead some of us into a trap that we sometimes don't recognize. When we are satisfied with our viewpoint on a topic we have effectively established a filter on our senses and our thinking that stops from reexamining that viewpoint even in the face of new information. We literally cannot even see that new information because of our filters. Unfortunately this can occur at a very early age or be affected by work and personal interactions.
Our filters in essence create a box within which we look for our answers. This leads us into the trap of continuing to ask the same question over and over again and frustrating ourselves by always getting answers from our box that don't work.
Perhaps the way to break the trap is to start searching for questions rather than continuing to look for more answers within our filtered box. New questions can come from reading, movies, conversations, controversy and so on. When we start looking for questions we will often find that we have a answer to that question that resonates with us and changes the filters we use.
Your thoughts?

67 conversations:

Sandee said...

This is much easier to say than do. I have my filters and I know I do. I doubt I'll change my approach to these issues either. At least I know that I'm biases. You are right though. We react to our perception of things.

Have a terrific day. :P

Rizal Affif said...

Nice one.

To me, challenging myself to do a new thing really sets me free from the trap :) thanks :)

Wedding Photographer Manchester said...

I agree that Challenging one self opens your mind to thinking out the box

Linda said...

I agree with you, sometimes we think we know enough, but there is more that we need to know. Everyday we discover new things.

bukmacher said...

i agree with you fully.Wish all the best and Merry Christmas

Theresa111 said...

I will keep this in mind as I enter into 2010. Thanks Peter. Hope all is good your your and your kitty.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Carico said...

Yeah its called being stubborn. So many people get dead set on their ideas without proper knowledge.

Online Healthy Diet Meal Plans said...

I agree with you fully.Wish all the best .

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I over polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to review the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

NFL Draft said...

Interesting! Thats pretty cool! You don’t mind if I come here more often and read your posts do you? I love to blog but only on good subjects. Like this one for instance! Can’t wait till you post something else.

Drconfused said...

This reminds me of the saying 'our need to know is our inability to learn'
The word I always used rather then filters was presuppositions and it is true that these filters can impede our lives.
'Letting Go' is something I have heard alot and I couldnt wrap my head around it until reading about mindfulness which is about living in the now rather then the past and future (at least in my current perspective).

Thanks for a beautiful post.

cabin rentals said...

Content is king and i love the content of this post... its really very interesting i m very impressed... now i am eagerly waiting for your next post..

contemporary furniture sofas said...

to say this is much easier to do...but really i like the content of the blog..i recently visited your blog but i m very very impressed..And now i eagerly wait for your next blog...

Los Angeles Printing Service said...

I think I have heard about this before, something like the anchor effect. Once you are in particular train of through, it is hard to get out of it.

Darmsanierung zu Hause said...

Its very important to stay open but there are so may influences on us. Parents, friends, society in general. Its hard to keep an open perspetive.

Thanks for the interesting article!

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Therapy said...

It is very informative blog.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog as for me. It would be great to read more about this theme. Thnx for posting this information.

Airfone said...

Great one. Challenging oneself to do a thing will help anyone get out of any kin of traps!

Click On Portal said...

we have to be more on a lookout not to fall for these traps because of our habits. Though it's quite hard.

berkey said...

there are times that we need to think deeper or need to ask second opinions to others though this should not affect our judgment but rather improves it. traps are in many form and we should recognize it.

Health Care said...

Hey the article serves the best answer for trap.Thinking out of box is better. but too much of thinking exceeds human self control on mind and body. Thanks for such a wonderful article!

Daren said...

Gotta agree with Sandee for the most part. I found myself in this trap and told myself to do this when this happens. It is hard and you have to constantly monitor yourself. I am glad to see that I am not the only one with this frustration.

john said...

This is much easier to say than do. I have my filters and I know I do. I doubt I'll change my approach to these issues either

halil said...

nice sharing

Fish said...

Thank you, it was really intersting to read.

Ayur said...

Not sometimes we always think we know everything, if we found someone knows more than we know then only we realize the truth.Excellent post to think our self.

hgh said...

Most of times we believe we understand sufficient, but there is more that we require to know. Everyday we find out new things.

hgoze said...

:)) thanks...

Healthcare Labels said...

Lot of people fall in traps due to lack of information about a subject.

Nutrition Tracker said...

I really enjoy your writing voice! The "filters" discussion is an interesting topic. Being aware of those filters is the first step to allow ourselves to grow from introspection. There are downsides to filters but, in my opinion, there are also important upsides. One upside being that without filters we may not be intrigued to ask those exploratory questions to learn more about the world around us and thus the true id inside of us. But another good point is that we need change and stimulating environment to discover new filters...and then question those filters. Ahh personal evolution:)

Medical tourism companies said...

Everyday is a new day. When I feel I can't think of a solution and ask the same question over and over, I let the topic go and think of it after a good night sleep. You'll be surprised how an answer appears almost out of nowhere.

h pylori said...

I agree with you, but we cannot process all the information on the subject continiously. Otherwise we loose our piece of mind and our self confidence that is based on some definite opinion.
I think it's kind of ok to live in your own world, because everybody does. Nobody is objective.

Anonymous said...

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

Jelly said...

Thank you very much for the post.Keep sharing.

hospital management software said...

Thank you for a very clear and helpful post. I am definitely a violator of many of these rules.I think that everyones said the same thing that youve said over and over again. I will be coming back soon.

hgh therapy said...

most of the times we believe we understand sufficient, but there is more that we require to know. Everyday we find out new things.

Peter Write said...

Even though we have our filters and traps,we must keep our minds open to the possibility of knowing the true fact of the challenge.

wash hands said...

Challenges are a way of living that we come by each day, some make as strong while others drain our strength completely. Challenging ourselves will open our reasoning capacity and strengthen our ways than our human made status. Like the idea.

king air 200 said...

Great post, what you said is really helpful to me. I would like to read more from you. Thanks for the share.

San Pedro Real Estate said...

It's true, we stop thinking once we reach a conclusion, if we do think beyond that who knows maybe we may just discover the best output. I guess studying from various angles will benefit us more.

Residential architect said...

As sandee said this is easier to say than do... you are rigth in your article we are trapped in our habits

Bari said...

the articles on this blog is good, I can learn a lot here

joomla development services said...

Well, very good post with informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information. This is the first time, I visited at your site and became your fan. You are bookmarked. Please keep on posting.

joomla development services said...

It’s good to see this information in your post, I was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now I Thank to the post.I really loved reading your blog.It was very well authored and easy to understand.

Anonymous said...

Good post. I have two friends that are stubborn beyond belief. I will always think of them this way and nothing will change my mind!

kerle said...

happy nice 1. :)

Thank you

Employee Wellness Programs said...

Very interesting article. I can't help to think that the same applies to health and wellness. People who are obese and live inactive life, must be satisfied with their view on the quality of their personal life and have put up the filters on any other information that will tell them otherwise.

Free Software said...

Well it is my good luck in real, as I was searching something else on internet and I am here to your blog by chance and I must say it is a good site buddy.

energy cup said...

challenging situation always force an energetic person to think and accept the challenge that yes i can do it, but the person with lazy thinking will never accept it, its also a mental phenomena!!!

Tina @ wedding favors said...

I just read you other posts. I guess we have to really broaden our minds. We always need to be inspired with posts like this.

Hire Joomla Developers said...

This is such a helpful reading material for me, I’ve learned a lot of new things. Thanks for the great post!

buy dedicated servers said...

I really like some of the advice that you have tackle down on this post. Thanks so much for sharing such review.

Anonymous said...

I discovered so many interesting things inside your blog especially its discussion. From all the remarks in your articles and it appears such as this is often a very popular website. Keep up the truly amazing work.I like your blog,I will recoming again in the furture.

iPhone VPN said...

Well done on this review. I totally agree to some factors that you have mention on this description. Glad that you have tackle down such topic.

Anonymous said...

thank you:)

Best Hair Extensions Salons said...

I am really impressed with this post .... the person who created this post was a great man. thank you man who shared with us.

Wholesale Furniture said...

I appreciate the information you provided in the post. It should be noted and I really liked the presentation as well. I will surely return for more interesting posts.

Thanks

Furniture San Francisco said...

Wow and wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that.
Hmmm interesting stuff
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the informative post and keep up the good work!

Affordable web hosting plans said...

You made certain good points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found the majority of people will have the same opinion with your blog.

Umbrella companies said...

Such a nice and unique information sharing. thanks for that.
- Umbrella companies

hazelkeech2015 said...

Such a useful information sharing and its helpful for everyone.

- Tend Skin Liquid 16 oz

Bone Cancer Survival Rate said...

thanks for such an interesting and catchy article.

Orologi said...

Thanks for sharing such useful information. It will helpful for those people what they really need.

state farm agents said...

Thanks for sharing informative news and It's really very helpful for everyone.