Saturday, June 9, 2007

Our Crystal Ball

We all have made decisions that in hindsight would have been better not having made or definitely should have been modified to get a better result than we achieved. Sometimes, the consequences can be minor and we kind of shrug it off. However, when it is major it is a different story.

The results we expected to have happen seemed so straight forward at the time of making the decision. We didn't foresee the result we got; but, in hindsight we don't see how we could have missed it. So we feel we screwed up; big time.

What's wrong with this picture?

No one has a crystal ball. Our predictions are based either on our direct experiences or on knowing the results generated by someone else and our determination of the relationships between causes and effects. If we don't have perfect knowledge or the correct understanding then we get unexpected results.  

All we have done is once more proved that the future is always a prediction. Our best guess. The phrase comes to mind:

If hindsight were foresight then we would make no mistakes.

It is our choice whether we beat ourselves up for mistakes or learn from them.

7 conversations:

Michele said...

Another great topic!
How nice it would be to own the "elusive" crystal ball that everyone has referred to at one time or another. Decision making for me is a sensitive area and normally I have difficulty moving ahead with the final word until I feel I have all the facts laid out infront of me before I give the official "nod". And even after making the final say, I still feel uncomfortable with my logic. One statement that I was told by a very wise friend that seemed to help in certain situations, “Which option do I want to experience?” Sometimes this helps to clear up to what I want to feel at the consequenses of choosing that selection, depending on the situation. Thanks Peter for the insight.

paisley said...

If hindsight were foresight then we would make no mistakes.

and achieve no personal growth....
no matter how painful it is at times......

Peter Haslam said...

Michele and Paisley thank you for your good additions to the conversation

Anonymous said...

Great post, Peter. Sometimes I've made informed decisions, and sometimes I've gone with my gut. I think the best situation is when you can utilize both, but that's not always possible. I'm still learning how not to beat myself up for certain choices - the detrimental results of which I could never have forseen.

Peter Haslam said...

Me too HollyGL me too

Sandee said...

Well, I'm one of those Virgo's (married to one too) and we tend to beat ourselves up even though we know we made the right decision based on the information we had. Yes, we do miss things that are obvious often. That's why there is the saying, "To err is human, to forgive is devine."

Peter Haslam said...

Definitely Sandee thanks or the addition to the conversation